At a meeting of the Board of Regents held on 17 October 2002, approval was given to the designation of "Honorary Professor" as a non-stipendiary appointment category to be used in special cases, in accordance with the accompanying guidelines for this designation.
Honorary Professor Guidelines
The Appointments Committee of the Board of Regents may name an individual an "Honorary Professor" under the following guidelines:
1. This designation is not a substitute for "Professor Emeritus" or "Adjunct Professor".
2. A person accorded the title of Honorary Professor will be an outstanding scholar seeking a significant working relationship with the University.
3. The University’s expectations of the individual appointed will be included in the recommendation to the Appointments Committee and the letter of appointment.
4. The appointment will be for an initial period of three years, renewable following a review.
5. Nomination for this appointment may originate from an academic unit, a dean or a vice-president.
6. The appointment carries no remuneration or other material benefit.
7. There will be a maximum of five Honorary Professors at any given time.