English is the primary language of instruction at Memorial University. All applicants are required to provide proof of English proficiency in order to meet the general admission requirements of the University.
- Applicants who have attended a minimum of 3 years at a recognized high school where the language of instruction is English may be considered to have met the University's English Proficiency Requirements. The program of study must include the successful completion of appropriate course(s) in English at the senior level. In some cases, a letter from the school stating the language of instruction and duration of study may be required.
- Applicants may demonstrate English proficiency through study at a recognized university or college where the language of instruction is English. In this case, a minimum of 30 credit hours must be completed, including 6 transferable credit hours in English language/literature courses.
- Applicants may also enroll in Memorial University's Intensive English Program, taught on the St. John's campus. In this case, students must complete the IEP with an acceptable score on the CAEL (administered by Memorial University).
- All other students will need to prove English proficiency by achieving a minimum score on a recognized standardized test. Official results for each test must be forwarded to the Office of the Registrar, Memorial University, directly from the recognized testing organization.
- TOEFL - A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test or a minimum overall score of 79 on the internet-based test with at least 20 in each of Reading and Writing, and no less than 17 in Listening and Speaking. The institution code for Memorial University is 0885.
- IELTS - A minimum overall band score of 6.5, with at least band 6 in each of Writing and Reading.
- CAEL - Minimum band scores of between 50 and 60 in each of the four skills tested (Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking), with at least two band scores of 60.
- CanTEST – Minimum band Level 4.5 in the listening comprehension and reading comprehension sub-tests and a score of 4 in writing.
- MELAB – Minimum score of 85% (or higher).
For further details on English language proficiency requirements, please consult the University Calendar.