Printing Tips to Reduce Paper Use
- Open the document you need to print, select File in the task bar and in the pull down menu select Print.
- In the Print pop-up box, select Xerox printer. Click on the Properties button.
- In the Properties pop-up box, select the Paper/Output tab.
- Under 2 Sided Print, click on 2 Sided Print in the pull down menu. Press OK.
Print your document and feel good that you have used 100 % less paper. This setting will not be saved, so you will need to follow these steps each time you print. The Sustainability Office is investigating having “2 Sided Print” set as the default for all printing on the Xerox printers/photocopiers.
Printing multiple pages of a document on one page
- On the File menu, click Print.
- Under Zoom, click the option you want in the Pages per sheet box.
For example, to print a four-page document on one sheet of paper, select 2 pages per sheet and select 2-sided print – flip on short edge (on the Paper/Output tab in Printer Properties) to print 2 pages on the front, and 2 pages on the back of the same sheet of paper.
This can also be done in PowerPoint by clicking Print, and then under Handouts, selecting the number of slides you want to print per page.
- On the File menu, click Print Preview.
- Use the buttons on the toolbar to look over the page or make adjustments before printing.
- On the File menu, click Print Preview.
- Click the text in the area you want to edit. Microsoft Word zooms in on the area.
- Click Magnifier when the pointer changes from a magnifying glass to an I-beam, make your changes to the document.
- To return to the original magnification, click Magnifier, and then click the document.
- To exit print preview and return to the previous view of the document, click Close.
Below are secure print instructions for some of the more common Xerox machines on campus. To find your exact model instructions, log on to www.support.xerox.com, click on Support and Drivers in the task bar, and enter your model number in the search field (or choose your product type and model from the boxes below the search field). In the Search Results for your model, click on Support. When in the support section of your particular model, type “secure print” in the search field for directions.
Following are step by step instructions for printing a secure print job from a workstation with Microsoft Windows Operating System. These steps may vary depending on the operating system installed on your workstation.
- From the workstation with the application open, click on File from the toolbar, then select Print. The Print window will be displayed.
- Select the printer that you want to print to from the list of printers, then click on Properties. The Properties window will be displayed.
- Click on the Paper / Output or Support/Reception tab. The Paper / Output window will be displayed. If the tab is not displayed, skip to step 7.
- Select Secure Print from the Job Type pull-down menu.
- Click on the Secure Print Setup button just below. The Secure Print Setup window will be displayed.
- Enter and confirm a four-digit numeric password in the fields provided, then click OK. The password you enter will be the same password you enter at the machine in order to print the job. Skip to step 11.
- Click on the Advanced button. The Advanced Options window will be displayed.
- Click the + sign next to Document Options to expand the folder and to display the options.
- Select Secure Print from the Job Type pull-down menu. The Secure Print Setup window will be displayed. Under the Job Type window, click on “Setup…”
- Enter and confirm a four-digit numeric password in the fields provided, then click OK. The password you enter will be the same password you enter at the machine in order to print the job.
- Click OK on the Properties window.
- Click OK or Print to print the job.
- From the Document Centre Control Panel, press the Job Status button. The jobs currently being processed by the machine will be displayed.
- If necessary, use the up or down arrow buttons on the Touch Screen to scroll through the list to find and highlight the secure print job.
- Select Release and a window will be displayed prompting for the password.
- Enter the password you provided in the previous step using the numeric keypad on the Control Panel, then select Enter on the Touch Screen. The job will process and print.
NOTE: If a secure print job is stuck in the Job Queue and the password is lost or forgotten, the job can be deleted without prompting for the password.