Memorial University is an inclusive community dedicated to creativity, innovation and excellence in teaching and learning, research and scholarship, and to public engagement and service. We recognize our special obligation to the people of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Memorial welcomes students and scholars from all over the world and contributes knowledge and shares expertise locally, nationally, and internationally.
Core Values and Principles
A set of strongly held core values and principles guide the university as it makes the decisions that will shape its future.
- Quality and Excellence – Memorial seeks to achieve the highest possible quality in the delivery of programs and services and the research it conducts, striving for excellence in all that it does.
- Creativity, Ingenuity, and Innovation – Memorial will foster a climate that encourages people to be creative and innovative.
- Equity, Equality, and Diversity – Memorial values the diversity within the institution and treats people in an equitable manner.
- Accessibility – Memorial strives to be accessible to students.
- Collegiality and Cooperation – Memorial must continue to be a place where people conduct themselves in a respectful, collegial and cooperative manner, both among campuses and among the academic and administrative entities that comprise them.
- Responsiveness and Flexibility – Memorial has an obligation to be responsive to identified needs and will seek to be more flexible.
- Competitiveness – Memorial strives to be nationally and internationally competitive in all that it does.
- High Ethical Standards – Memorial holds itself to the highest ethical standards in its teaching, research and service.
- Sustainability – Memorial acts in a manner that is environmentally, economically and socially sustainable, both in its administration and in its program development.
- Accountability and Transparency – Memorial recognizes that accountability and transparency are essential characteristics of its culture.