Please Enter a Search Term

Prospective Students

Are you interested in learning more about social work or the admission criteria required for the Bachelor of Social Work program?

Please check the social work calendar on our home page for dates and times of BSW information sessions taking place!


Please note that the School of Social Work has moved back to our home at St. John's College

Did you know?

  • Memorial offers the Bachelor of Social Work as a first degree and second degree.
  • There is a growing need for social workers.
  • The salary is competitive with other helping professions.
  • Memorial's School of Social Work faculty are involved in diverse research and practice areas ranging from mental health and children's protection, to independence and quality of life for older persons, to gender, parenting and mental distress.

Important Links
Bachelor of Social Work
BSW as a Second Degree
Admission Requirements
How to Apply
Regulations for BSW

Q & A



Who is well suited for MUN's BSW Program?
The BSW program admits students from a range of educational backgrounds. Students who excel in the program are committed to academic integrity, ethical standards, and competent social work practice.

What type of work/volunteer/community involvement experience is required for the BSW program? 

While the school does not recommend a specific experience, experience related to social work would include any work/volunteer/community involvement experience that relates to social work includes but is not limited to the following:

  • Working and/or volunteering with an agency in a helping capacity (Ex. Experiences that foster: relationship building, provision of support, education or resources to community groups
  • Experiences that involve the use of self, supportive interactions with others, advocacy, serving on community boards
  • Examples of experience may include: summer camps, community programs, public awareness work, mentoring programs
  • Past applicants have worked and/or volunteered with a variety of agencies ranging from community centres, long-term care facilities, hospitals, education settings, etc.

How do I know if I have been granted transfer credits?
To determine whether or not any of the credits attained previously from another educational institution can be credited towards your BSW degree you will need to contact the Registrar's Office and request a transfer credit evaluation. Questions regarding the transfer credit evaluation process should be directed to the Evaluations Officer in the Office of the Registrar by e-mail at or by phone at (709) 864-4423.

Job Prospects
MUN's BSW graduates are qualified to work in a variety of settings including child, youth and family services, long term care centers, corrections facilities, addictions services, hospitals, schools, and mental health programs.