Prospective Students

Letter of Appraisal form

Applicants are required to submit one Letter of Appraisal from a Professional Referee as part of the online BSW application.  

 St. John's College

Frequently Asked Questions

Are you interested in applying to the BSW program?

If so, we encourage you to attend an information session facilitated by our Student Liasion Officer. These sessions will provide an introduction to the profession of social work and review the admission criteria for the Bachelor of Social Work First and Second Degree programs.

The first session is scheduled for Wednesday, November 22 from 1:00 - 2:00 in SN 4083. Additional sessions will be offered in the winter semester. Please continue to check our website for dates and times.

Additional information ia available at How to Apply.

Q. What type of work/volunteer/community involvement experience is required for the BSW program?
A. While the School does not recommend a specific experience, experience would include any work/volunteer/community involvement experience in human services that relates to social work. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:

  • working and/or volunteering in a helping capacity which involve the use of self, relationship building, provision of support, education, advocacy or developing resources and/or working with individuals, families, groups, and/or community to promote social change

  • work which involves serving on community boards, committees, being a camp counsellor, volunteering with community programs, mentoring programs, working/volunteering with individuals, public awareness work, etc.

    Note: Past applicants have worked and/or volunteered with a variety of agencies ranging from community centres, long-term care facilities, hospitals, education settings, etc.

Q. Am I able to receive transfer credit for courses completed at other educational institutions? 
A. To determine whether or not any of the credits attained previously from another educational institution can be credited towards your BSW degree, you will need to contact the Registrar's Office and request a transfer credit evaluation. Prior to requesting a transfer credit evaluation, students must first of all apply and be accepted to Memorial University. Questions regarding the transfer credit evaluation process should be directed to the Evaluations Officer in the Office of the Registrar by e-mail at or by phone at (709) 864-4423.

Q. What types of work are BSW graduates qualified for?
A. MUN's BSW graduates are qualified to work in a variety of settings including child, youth and family services, long term care centers, corrections facilities, addictions services, hospitals, schools, and mental health programs. The salary is competitive with other helping professions.

Did you know?

  • Memorial offers the Bachelor of Social Work as a first degree and second degree.
  • There is a growing need for social workers.
  • Memorial's School of Social Work faculty are involved in diverse research and practice areas ranging from mental health and children's protection, to independence and quality of life for older persons, to gender, parenting and mental distress - just to name a few!