Terms of Reference
J. R. SMALLWOOD FOUNDATION FOR NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR STUDIES
TERMS OF REFERENCE
(As of September 3, 2008)
1. The J.R. Smallwood Foundation for Newfoundland and Labrador Studies has been established with funds transferred in trust by the J.R. Smallwood Heritage Foundation to Memorial University, which is required “to use the income there from in perpetuity for the promotion and support of research in Newfoundland studies in the areas of the Humanities and Social Sciences including, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the award of fellowships and research grants.” It is understood that in accordance with the wishes of the Smallwood Heritage Foundation funds may be disbursed in support of research and scholarship inside and outside the university community.
2. (a) The Smallwood Foundation will be governed by a Board of Directors. Eight members will be appointed on staggered three-year terms (renewable for one further consecutive term) by the Dean of Arts. As directors’ terms expire, the Dean of Arts will make appointments and reappointments, following consultation with current members of the Board of Directors.
(b) Board members will normally belong to the Faculty of Arts at Memorial University, and will be drawn from disciplines active in Newfoundland and Labrador studies.
(c) In addition, there will be the following ex officio members:
The Dean of Arts
The Director of the Smallwood Foundation (non-voting)
3. The Director of the Smallwood Foundation will serve as Chair of the Board of Directors.
4. The Board may constitute committees as it sees fit, which may include persons who are not members of the Board.
5. (a) The activities of the Smallwood Foundation will be managed by a Director, who will be appointed for a three-year term. The Director may be reappointed.
(b) The Director of the Smallwood Foundation shall be appointed (or reappointed) by the Dean of Arts, following consultation with the Board of Directors.
(c) The Director shall be a scholar with demonstrated expertise in Newfoundland and Labrador studies, and will follow policies and directives as established by the Foundation’s Board.
6. The Board of the Smallwood Foundation will be responsible for the administration of the funds at its disposal; for their disbursement in the promotion and support of research as may be decided from time to time; and for the marketing of the Encyclopedia of Newfoundland and Labrador. The Board may also undertake to revise and reprint the Encyclopedia should this be thought necessary. The Board will submit a report at the end of every academic year to the Dean of Arts.
7. The Board of the Smallwood Foundation will meet at the call of the Chair, but at least once each semester.
8. A quorum for a meeting shall be four voting members. Decisions shall require a majority vote of those in attendance.
9. The Foundation’s Board may make amendments to these terms of reference, so long as notice of the proposed amendments is given in writing, and they are approved by two-thirds of the members present and voting. Such amendments also require the approval of the Dean of Arts.