Single E-mail Frequently Asked Questions1. What is the single e-mail policy?
The single e-mail policy provides Memorial’s faculty, staff, students, retirees and alumni with a single e-mail address (for life) which is the sole address to be used for official university e-mail correspondence.
2. I have an @mun.ca e-mail address. Does this policy affect me? How?
Memorial ensures that all students, faculty, staff, alumni and retirees are provided with a single e-mail address (for life) and all official e-mail correspondence from Memorial will be sent only to the Memorial addresses and not to external e-mail addresses. Memorial is not obliged to accept e-mail from students, faculty, staff, alumni or retirees unless it comes from a valid @mun.ca address.
3. I use a hotmail, Yahoo, Sympatico or other e-mail account when I am at home. Can I still do that?
Yes, you can still access external e-mail accounts at home but Memorial is encouraging you to use @mun.ca e-mail wherever feasible. Academic and administrative units at Memorial are responsible for sending official e-mail communication to employees and students via the Memorial e-mail address.
4. Why do I need to use an @mun.ca account?
All Memorial faculty, staff, students, alumni and retirees are obligated to correspond to any one affiliated with MUN on official MUN business with their @mun.ca e-mail account.
5. I correspond with students a lot. Do I have to insist they use an @mun.ca account?
We recommend that you request that students use their @mun.ca account for official Memorial University correspondence.
6. I am a faculty member. Do I have to use an @mun.ca account? Do I have to give up my other e-mail accounts?
You do not have to give up external e-mail accounts but Memorial is encouraging you to use @mun.ca e-mail for all your e-mail communications. It is an e-mail for life. The policy states that academic units at Memorial are responsible for sending official e-mail communication to employees and students via the Memorial e-mail address.
7. If I am an alumnus or retiree what do I have to do?
If you are interested in getting a MUN e-mail account, please contact the Department of Computing and Communications and they will try to assist you. In the interim, Computing and Communications will be working on automating accounts through the fall semester.
8. I work at MI or SWGC and would like to know if I still use @swgc.mun.ca, @mi.mun.ca?
The policy refers to @mun.ca, @swgc.mun.ca and @mi.mun.ca. At the beginning of the fall 2008 semester, students will have to read two accounts, @swgc.mun.ca and @mun.ca, but this is being worked on and will be consolidated to the one account.