Procedure for Operation of University-owned Vehicles
Approval Date: 2014-07-25
Effective Date: 2014-07-25
Responsible Unit: Department of Facilities Management
1. Unit Heads will ensure that vehicle users follow the operational requirements of the University, a log book for each vehicle is kept up to date, a Vehicle Mileage Weekly Update form is completed, and drivers of University vehicles are authorized and have an applicable licence.
2. For the operation of certain University vehicles, a special license and/or endorsement must be held. For example:
- In order to operate a mini van or bus carrying eleven passengers including the driver or a maximum of twenty-four passengers, the driver must have a valid class 4 driver's license.
- To operate a tractor type vehicle (e.g., Dozer, Excavator), the operator must have a minimum of a class 5 driver's license with a traction engine endorsement. If the tractor or the vehicle is equipped with air brakes, an air brake endorsement must also be held. Operators of vehicles with air brakes are required to take an air brake certification course. When the job requirement necessitates an upgraded license and to obtain that license a medical is required, the University will cover cost of the medical, driving test fee, and difference of cost between a class 5 and the class license required and/or required endorsements for one time only.
- University vehicles are required to carry a valid insurance card and vehicle registration at all times. Emergency markers (flares, reflectors) must also be carried if the vehicle has a maximum gross mass in excess of twenty-five hundred kilograms (2,500) for the purpose of warning the travelling public of an emergency breakdown. It is the responsibility of the driver to ensure these items are in the vehicle.
- Vehicles in excess of 4,500 kilograms maximum gross mass may be subject to a highway inspection by officials of the Department of Transportation and Works. It is compulsory that the log book supplied be completed and up to date.
Further information may be obtained from the Procurement Officer.