Procedure for Acquisition of University Vehicles
Approval Date: 2014-07-25
Effective Date: 2014-07-25
Responsible Unit: Department of Facilities Management
1. A Request for Motor Vehicle form for the purchase, lease, or rental of a vehicle from University or grant funds must be submitted to the appropriate Unit Head who must recommend approval before forwarding the request to the Procurement Officer in FM. The request should show clearly that there is a need for a vehicle and provide financial information that justifies the need, as well as the funding available for acquisition. This is required even if the request is to replace a vehicle previously authorized. It should also be documented that other University vehicles are not available or suitable to meet the need of the unit. The Procurement Officer will review the request with the requesting unit to determine the specifications for the vehicle to be obtained. Once this is determined and the approximate cost established, the requesting unit forwards the request, with all applicable information, to the appropriate Vice-President for recommendation.
The request must contain the following information:
- Type of vehicle requested.
- Purchase or lease.
- New or used.
- Proposed source of funds for initial purchase or lease.
- Period of lease or rental (if applicable).
- Approximate purchase or rental cost.
- Proposed source of funds for license, insurance, operating cost, and maintenance.
- Period for which vehicle is required.
- Proposed disposition of the vehicle after intended use.
- Where the vehicle will be garaged. (Note: University policy prohibits personal use of University vehicles.)
- Unit number of vehicle being replaced (refer Request for Motor Vehicle form).
2. The appropriate Vice-President, upon approving the request, forwards it to the Vice-President (Administration and Finance) for final approval.
3. For rental of vehicles for a period of 31-90 days (rentals up to 30 days are covered in the Travel - General policy), items 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 11 and 12 of Section I of the Request for Motor Vehicle form should be completed with the approval of the Unit Head being sufficient. For rental of vehicles for a period of over 90 days, items 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 11 and 12 of Section I as well as Sections III and IV should be completed.
4. Upon receipt of approval from the Vice-President (Administration and Finance), the requesting unit will prepare the applicable purchase order covering the vehicle. Details for the purchase order will be provided by the Procurement Officer.
5. The requesting unit will forward copies of at least three quotations and approvals to the Department of Financial and Administrative Services with the commitment copy of the purchase order.
6. The Procurement Officer will receive the vehicle from the dealer, complete a detailed record, have appropriate identification affixed, and install a First Aid kit and fire extinguisher before turning the vehicle over to the user unit.
7. The Procurement Officer will arrange to have the University logo/crest placed on the vehicle together with the vehicle identification number. In certain circumstances approved by the Vice-President (Administration and Finance), appropriate identification may be limited to vehicle identification numbers.
8. The Procurement Officer will advise the Office of the Chief Risk Officer of the details of the vehicle (e.g., serial number, style of vehicle, etc.) in order that the necessary adjustments may be made to the University vehicle insurance policy. The Procurement Officer, upon renewal annually of vehicle license, will verify that the applicable insurance is carried on the vehicle.
9. When lease or rental of a vehicle for a unit is approved in accordance with this policy and arranged by the Procurement Officer, the Procurement Officer will ensure and verify that the full insurance coverage required by the University is obtained.
10. The only persons authorized to drive a University vehicle are those faculty, staff, and students that have been authorized to use the vehicle by the unit responsible for the vehicle provided that, for insurance purposes, the following details are on file with the Department of Financial and Administrative Service.
• Position with the University
• Driver's license number and class number
• Unit approval
The Request to Use University Vehicle form must be completed.