Procedure for Pre-departure Preparation for Travel Outside of Canada
Approval Date: 2015-03-12
Effective Date: 2015-03-12
Responsible Unit: Internationalization Office
Pre-departure preparation serves to mitigate some risks and better prepare the Traveler for unforeseen and emergent situations. The University makes available current information, guidance, and support of Travel Outside of Canada. Travelers should avail of this information and support while planning, and during, their travel.
A. In preparation for travel outside of Canada, Travelers are asked to:
- Register their travel. Canadian citizens and permanent residents are advised to register with the Government of Canada Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade, and Development (DFATD) prior to travelling outside of Canada. The DFATD travel registration is available here: travel.gc.ca/travelling/registration.
Travelers who hold citizenship in other countries are advised to register their travel with the foreign office of their country of citizenship.
- Ensure they have the appropriate travel documents (i.e. visa, entry documents, etc.) for their destination(s).
- Ensure they have appropriate travel insurance coverage, including coverage for personal property. Loss of personal property is not covered by the University’s insurance policies. Some Travelers, depending on the specific destination(s), may be required to obtain travel insurance that includes trip cancellation and interruption coverage.
- Familiarize themselves with the health risks and preventive measures associated with their specific destination(s).
- Ensure they have an appropriate pre-departure health assessment, which includes appropriate vaccinations, necessary medication, etc. for their travel and destination(s).
- Ensure they have adequate travel health insurance coverage.
B. In addition to the steps in section A, Travelers, who are students, and Activity Coordinators, will:
- Complete the Orientation for Students Travelling Outside of Canada provided by the relevant unit. The Orientation provides basic information for travel outside Canada, as well as specific information on travel, safety, and cultural customs for the specific destination(s).