Procedure for Early Resolution Of Respectful Workplace Concerns
Approval Date: 2014-10-16
Effective Date: 2014-10-16
Responsible Unit: Department of Human Resources
1. An employee may communicate a Concern to the Responsible Person. This is a role versus a position. The Responsible Person may vary, depending upon the circumstance, as follows:
a. In case of staff, the Responsible Person may be the supervisor, manager, Unit Head, the Human Resources Advisor, the Associate Director (Employee/Labour Relations and Consulting Services) Department of Human Resources, as appropriate, OR the campus Human Resources Administrator.
b. In the case of faculty, the Responsible Person may be the head of the academic unit, the Associate Director, Office of Faculty Relations, the Associate Director (Employee/Labour Relations and Consulting Services), or the campus Human Resources Administrator.
2. The Concern may be, but is not required to be, in writing.
3. Every reasonable attempt should be made to resolve the Concern prior to moving to formal mechanisms. Normally, the early resolution process will not exceed one (1) month.
4. An employee may be accompanied by another person of his/her choice.
5. The Responsible Person will consider whether other University policies, such as Sexual Harassment and Conflict of Interest, apply. See Related Documents section. All matters that are sexual in nature must be referred to the Sexual Harassment Advisor. If the Sexual Harassment Advisor believes, after consultation with relevant parties, that a Concern based on Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity or Gender Expression would be better handled under this Procedure, the Sexual Harassment Advisor will so advise the Responsible Person.
6. Following an examination of the Concern, the Responsible Person may determine that the conduct or behaviour described falls within the parameters of the Respectful Workplace Policy.
7. If it is determined that the matter does not fall within the parameters of the Respectful Workplace Policy, the employee raising the Concern will be so advised.
8. If it is determined that the matter falls within the parameters of the Respectful Workplace Policy, the Responsible Person will discuss the Concern with the employees involved, with the goal of reaching a mutually acceptable resolution.
9. It may be necessary that interim measures be taken while a Concern is being resolved. Such measures will be precautionary, not disciplinary. The Responsible Person hearing the Concern may initiate interim measures. In situations where an employee believes that his/her personal safety or the safety of others is an issue, the employee shall report the situation immediately to appropriate campus enforcement or security officials on the respective campus or Legal Authorities.