PROCEDURE FOR ARRANGING STUDENT ACCOMMODATION
1. To request an Accommodation, students should contact the appropriate campus co-ordinating centre as follows:
2. Self-identifying with a Disability and requesting an Accommodation sufficiently early will assist with providing any Accommodation. Although exceptions based on individual circumstances will be considered, Accommodation cannot be guaranteed for the current semester, session, course, work placement, event or activity, if students do not identify themselves in a timely manner as follows:
a. At least six weeks before semester course registration in the case of new students
b. At the start of each semester or session in the case of returning students.
c. As soon as possible, in the case of students who develop a disability, either permanently or temporarily, and students with a Disability whose health status changes significantly during their time at the University
d. Normally, at least two months in advance of a course, presentation, event or activity requiring sign language interpretation.
e. Normally, at least six months in advance of requiring special or additional resources not regularly available within the University
f. Normally, at least six months in advance of required structural changes to existing premises.
g. At least two weeks before a scheduled in-class assignment or test
h. At least one month before a final examination at the St. Johns and Grenfell campuses; and upon release of the final examination schedule at the Marine Institute campus
i. At least one semester before convocation, for graduating students
j. At least one semester before commencement of a work placement
3. Students requesting an Accommodation must provide documentation to the appropriate campus co-ordinating centre in accordance with the Procedure for Documentation Regarding a Students Accommodation Request.
4. Staff from the appropriate campus co-ordinating centre will conduct an initial interview with the student and/or applicants to discuss his/her individual Accommodation requests. As part of this process, documentation will be reviewed to ensure that recommendations and decisions about Accommodations are based on appropriate medical and/or psycho-educational information and diagnostic assessment. Where necessary, and with the students or applicants written consent, the campus co-ordinating centre may seek further information from or consult with professionals or experts, either internal or external, to the University.
The initial interview may include discussions on such topics as:
5. The appropriate campus co-ordinating centre will prepare any documentation notifying the student's Instructors and other individuals in the applicable Units at his/her request. The documentation will include a recommendation for reasonable Accommodations relevant to the students Disability.
6. Following contact with the appropriate campus co-ordinating centre, students must discuss their Academic Accommodation needs with their Instructors, and any others, in light of the nature and requirements of the particular course, program or assignment. For Non-academic Accommodation needs, the campus co-ordinating centre will contact the applicable Unit(s) on behalf of the student, with his or her consent.
7. In the case of semester tests, normally, the campus co-ordinating centre will assist the Instructor and student in making arrangements. To guarantee approved Accommodations, students must schedule in-class assignments or tests at least two weeks in advance.
8. In the case of final examinations:
To guarantee approved Accommodation at the St. Johns and Grenfell Campus, students must schedule final examinations at least one month in advance. To guarantee approved Accommodation at Marine Institute, students must schedule final examinations upon release of the final examination schedule.
9. Decisions regarding Academic Accommodations must be dealt with expeditiously because they may affect a student's admission, re-admission, or progress, in an ongoing course, program, work placement, or access to on-campus housing or an activity. When an Accommodation request cannot be arranged, the Procedure when a Student Accommodation Request Cannot be Arranged may be followed.