Procedure for Pre-employment Interview Expenses
Approval Date: 2014-07-25
Effective Date: 2014-07-25
Responsible Unit: Department of Financial and Administrative Services
1. It is the responsibility of the Dean, Director, or Department Head to ensure that the policy and procedures are observed and that economy is exercised.
2. The invitation to attend an interview should provide information on the process that will be followed to make travel and accommodations arrangements and the amounts and payment of these expenses.
3. Travel expenses for prospective employees must be approved by the Unit Head.
4. Travel and accommodation arrangements may be handled through three options:
a. Arranged and paid for directly by the University unit.
b. Arranged and paid for by the candidate and reimbursed to the candidate by Memorial after the interview visit.
c. A combination of options a. and b.
5. Subject to the approval of a Unit Head, a prospective employee may be accommodated in a private home at the rates outlined in the Schedule of Reimbursable Expenses. In such cases, a claim for reimbursement may be made by the prospective employee.
6. After the interview process has been completed, if applicable the candidate will submit a request for reimbursement on the Travel Claim form to the Unit Head.
7. Original vouchers covering travel expenses (i.e. airline tickets/boarding passes, gas receipts, hotel bills, ferry charges, and meals) must accompany the Travel Claim form. In accordance with Canada Revenue Agency guidelines, credit card receipts do not qualify as a receipt except for gas purchases. The meal per diem will be as per the Schedule of Reimbursable Expenses.
8. If the candidate is claiming for expenses in lieu of airfare, a quote for the applicable airfare must be attached.