Effective Date: 2009-04-13
Review Date: 2017-05-01
The Vice-President (Administration and Finance) through the Director of Facilities Management (FM)
To define authority and establish procedures for the procurement of space through external property leasing.
University wide and applies to leasing of space not owned by Memorial University.
The Board of Regents approves any space lease in excess of 12 months or where the value is within public tender thresholds.
2. The Manager of Space Planning and Administration, FM in consultation with the Vice-Presidents' Space Committee determines whether suitable space is available on campus to fit the requirements of the requesting department or that external space is required.
3. Where a requirement for external space has been recommended by the Vice Presidents' Space Committee, the Procurement Officer, FM ensures that proper procedures are observed for the lease of such space
4. The requesting department is responsible for all cost incurred in obtaining the property such as advertising, consultants, etc.
5. The requesting department is responsible for all operating costs associated with the leased properties including maintenance, utilities, insurance, etc.
6. All space requirements over 30 days' duration, including extensions of leases beyond the 30-day threshold, must be co-ordinated through the Department of FM.
7. For leases of less than 12 months, where the term value is in excess of $500.00 but less than the public tender threshold, University Purchasing Policy applies as it relates to the acquisition of supplier quotations.
8. For leases in excess of 12 months, or where the term value is in excess of public tender thresholds or where a lease has initially been issued as per 7 above and that space has been determined to be an ongoing requirement beyond the initial twelve-month period, acquisition will be made through the public tender process.
9. A lease contract stating the terms and conditions of the lease will be required regardless of the length of the term or dollar value. Where the lease term is in excess of 30 days, documents must be executed through the Department of FM. Failure to provide such a contract will render the lease null and void.