The most obvious of these is the orientation week. The MUPS orientation committee exerts significant effort to provide a memorable and rewarding introduction to the School of Pharmacy.
Other activities or events that MUPS/CAPSI provide for its members include:
- CAPSI Agenda - Helps you be organized for your classes and exams, as well as providing information about CAPSI.
- CAPSI Competitions - Each year, CAPSI conducts several national competitions in compounding, patient interviewing and literary skills.We encourage you to participate (even, in first year!), and we guarantee you will learn and have fun at the same time.
- Professional Development Week (PDW) - A National Conference that will allow you to hear outstanding and motivating speakers and educational events that will supplement your current education and future pharmacy skills. As well, PDW allows you the opportunity to meet future colleagues from across Canada and participate in social events that give you a flavor of local culture. Memorial University hosted the event in 2009. In 2012, Dalhousie University will play host.
- The Annual Career Fair - Make contacts with representatives from pharmacy chains and pharmaceutical companies. These people are interested in meeting with pharmacy students to develop the foundation of a professional relationship now and in the future.
- CAPSI Symposia - A forum for hot topics in the world of pharmacy.
- Practice OSCEs - Although it may seem far away, graduation comes quickly! To become a licensed pharmacist, you have to write a national exam called the PEBCs. There are two parts to the exam - a written and an OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Evaluation). To help you get ready for the OSCE part, CAPSI and MUPS host a practice session for the final year students in February/March. Your membership gives you a discounted fee to participate and enhance your skills.
- MUPS/CAPSI act on your behalf during discussions with the faculty in the School of Pharmacy.
- The MUPS Sports Representative coordinates the intramural sporting events for members.
- MUPS pays the intramural fees for its members. The MUPS Social Representative coordinates mixers and other social events so you can meet other pharmacy students as well as students in the other health disciplines at Memorial.
- MUPS/CAPSI acts as a suggestion box and a voice for students of the School of Pharmacy.
We encourage you to become active in the planning and participation of our events. There are opportunities for everyone to become involved.
Student Council Executive for 2013-2014
President – Sarah Rowsell (Class of 2015)
Vice-President – Linda Ou (Class of 2015)
Treasurer – Karen Ryan (Class of 2015)
Secretary – Sam House (Class of 2015)
Social Rep – Ashley Rideout (Class of 2015)
Sports Rep – Josh Lane (Class of 2016)
NLPB Rep – Amanda Brett (Class of 2014)
PANL Rep - Katie O'Brien (Class of 2015)
CAPSI Sr. – Janice Coleman (Class of 2015)
CAPSI Jr. – Kara O'Keefe (Class of 2016)
Class of 2014 Rep. - Jon Stevens
Class of 2015 Rep. - Nicole MacDonald
Class of 2016 Rep. - Emily King
Class of 2017 Rep. - Kelly Mitchelmore
NL HSSA Sr. - Jaleesa Hawco (Class of 2016)
IPSF Sr. - Sukriti Nijhawan (Class of 2016)
IPSF Jr. - Tyler Duhart (Class of 2016)
CSHP Rep. - Michael Bernard (Class of 2014)
CSHP Jr: Parinita Verma (Class of 2015)
CICPO Rep. - Jamie Preston (Class of 2017)
MUNSU Rep. - Megan Elliott (Class of 2015)
CAPSIL Rep. - Dave Ropson (Class of 2015)
Past President - Adrienne Penney (Class of 2014)