The most obvious of these is the orientation week. The MUPS orientation committee exerts significant effort to provide a memorable and rewarding introduction to the School of Pharmacy.
Other activities or events that MUPS/CAPSI provide for its members include:
- CAPSI Agenda - Helps you be organized for your classes and exams, as well as providing information about CAPSI.
- CAPSI Competitions - Each year, CAPSI conducts several national competitions in compounding, patient interviewing and literary skills.We encourage you to participate (even, in first year!), and we guarantee you will learn and have fun at the same time.
- Professional Development Week (PDW) - A National Conference that will allow you to hear outstanding and motivating speakers and educational events that will supplement your current education and future pharmacy skills. As well, PDW allows you the opportunity to meet future colleagues from across Canada and participate in social events that give you a flavor of local culture. Memorial University hosted the event in 2009. In 2012, Dalhousie University will play host.
- The Annual Career Fair - Make contacts with representatives from pharmacy chains and pharmaceutical companies. These people are interested in meeting with pharmacy students to develop the foundation of a professional relationship now and in the future.
- CAPSI Symposia - A forum for hot topics in the world of pharmacy.
- Practice OSCEs - Although it may seem far away, graduation comes quickly! To become a licensed pharmacist, you have to write a national exam called the PEBCs. There are two parts to the exam - a written and an OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Evaluation). To help you get ready for the OSCE part, CAPSI and MUPS host a practice session for the final year students in February/March. Your membership gives you a discounted fee to participate and enhance your skills.
- MUPS/CAPSI act on your behalf during discussions with the faculty in the School of Pharmacy.
- The MUPS Sports Representative coordinates the intramural sporting events for members.
- MUPS pays the intramural fees for its members. The MUPS Social Representative coordinates mixers and other social events so you can meet other pharmacy students as well as students in the other health disciplines at Memorial.
- MUPS/CAPSI acts as a suggestion box and a voice for students of the School of Pharmacy.
We encourage you to become active in the planning and participation of our events. There are opportunities for everyone to become involved.
Student Council Executive for 2012-2013
President – Adrienne Penney (Class of 2014)
Vice-President – Sarah Rowsell (Class of 2015)
Treasurer – Joe Otto (Class of 2014)
Secretary – Claire Jenkins (Class of 2014)
Social Rep – Sarah Abdi (Class of 2014)
Sports Rep – Jon Stevens (Class of 2014)
NLPB Rep – Kevin Angell (Class of 2013)
PANL Rep - Ann-Marie Hodder (Class of 2013)
CAPSI Sr. –Travis Simms (Class of 2014)
CAPSI Jr. – Janice Coleman (Class of 2015)
CAPSI Liaison - Jasmine Elliott (Class of 2016)
Class of 2013 Rep. - Aaron Siller
Class of 2014 Rep. - Stephanie Dove
Class of 2015 Rep. - Nicole MacDonald
Class of 2016 Rep. - Laura Holmberg
CSHP Rep. - Michael Bernard (Class of 2014)
CICOP Rep. - Kara O'Keefe (Class of 2016)
IPSF Sr. - Linda Ou (Class of 2015)
IPSF Jr. - Sukriti Nijhawan (Class of 2016)
NL HSSA Sr. - Farah Hamodat (Class of 2014)
MUNSU Representative - Megan Elliott (Class of 2015)
Past President - Sarah Way (Class of 2013)