Website Rejuvenation Project
Memorial University’s most significant presence in the digital world, mun.ca, is being rejuvenated through two initiatives. Tell us what you think.
1. The first initiative is a new web design for www.mun.ca. It will be rolled out beginning in May 2017, under the direction of the Division of Marketing and Communications (MarComm) and Information Technology Services (ITS).
The new web design template was developed through consultation with key stakeholders, tested with diverse user groups, and reviewed against website trends within and outside of the higher education industry. Some of the website improvements include:
- responsive design—automatic reformatting of site content for best presentation on the device being used, whether a desktop computer, tablet or smart phone
- intuitive navigation—new masthead with easy access to the highest traffic sites from the main page
- improved search handling and results—user experience research shows that more than 50 per cent of users search first rather than look for a link, 30 per cent look for a link first then search and 20 per cent do both equally
- improved presentation of text, images, videos and graphics
- adherence to international web content accessibility guidelines (WCAG 2.0)
- better reflection of the multi-campus nature of Memorial
- consistent branding across more than 400 university subsites
Since www.mun.ca is such a large site, the design is being implemented in phases across the hundreds of subsites, beginning with the main and hub pages. The initial grouping of highest traffic sites will go live on or around May 1, 2017.
2. The second initiative will see websites currently on the Site Builder content management system (CMS) move to a new system called TerminalFour, which will provide new features and functionality to the site’s 900 content owners. This TerminalFour CMS was piloted with the Marine Institute and QEII Library websites and found to be well-supported by the vendor.
We will continue to evolve Memorial’s web presence over the coming months and encourage you to share your feedback through the feedback button on the right side of the new landing page or in the footer.
If you have immediate questions about this project, please contact email@example.com.