Website Rejuvenation Project
Memorial University’s most significant presence in the digital world, mun.ca, is being rejuvenated.
The new web design template was developed through consultation with key stakeholders, tested with diverse user groups, and reviewed against website trends within and outside of the higher education industry. Some of the website improvements include:
- responsive design—automatic reformatting of site content for best presentation on the device being used, whether a desktop computer, tablet or smart phone
- intuitive navigation—new masthead with easy access to the highest traffic sites from the main page
- improved search handling and results—user experience research shows that more than 50 per cent of users search first rather than look for a link, 30 per cent look for a link first then search and 20 per cent do both equally
- improved presentation of text, images, videos and graphics
- adherence to international web content accessibility guidelines (WCAG 2.0)
- better reflection of the multi-campus nature of Memorial
- consistent branding across more than 400 university subsites
The first phase of this project is now complete and all major university units and departments have been migrated into the new web template. Websites in older web templates will be migrated over the next several months, in conjunction with the next phase of this project and the eventual move to a new web content management system.
We are reviewing all the feedback received regarding the template and will be making changes based upon that. Stay tuned.
We will continue to evolve Memorial’s web presence over the coming months.
If you have immediate questions about this project, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.