Funding: Consult with the graduate coordinator or your supervisor to find out which of these opportunities may be appropriate for you to apply for. For SSHRC funding, be aware that the Department of Linguistics sets internal deadlines which are much earlier than deadlines announced on the graduate funding section of the SSHRC website. To be eligible to apply for SSHRC funding you must be a permanent resident or citizen of Canada. Other eligibility criteria are listed for each award at the SSHRC website. International students should check Memorial's website www.mun.ca/scholarships/internationalstudents.
The 2013 deadline for submitting an SSHRC (Doctoral or MA) application to the Department of Linguistics is Monday October 21.
EXTERNAL FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES
- SSHRC Master's Scholarship: application is made through the NSERC website for Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Scholarships. SSHRC deadline December 1, 2013. 17,500 for 12 months, non-renewable. MUN deadline:
The deadline date for the CGS M competition has been set for December 1st, before 8:00 p.m. (ET). Because this date falls on a Sunday, CGS M applications will be accepted on Monday, December 2, 2013, before 8:00 p.m. (ET). Memorial’s quota for the CGS Master’s Scholarship competition this year is 16.
- SSHRC Doctoral Awards: Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Doctoral Scholarships ($35,000 per year for 36 months); SSHRC Doctoral Fellowships ($20,000 per year for 12, 24, 36 or 48 months).SSHRC deadline Jan 9, 2013; MUN internal deadline:
Memorial’s quota for this year’s SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship competition is 19. For the doctoral applicants applying through the university, the deadline for receipt of applications to the School of Graduate Studies (original plus one photocopy) is November 15, 2013. For students applying directly to SSHRC, the deadline is November 6, 2013. The application process for the SSHRC Doctoral competition has not changed from last year.
INTERNAL FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES
- ISER funding opportunties: Doctoral fellowship, deadline Feb 10, 2014; Masters Fellowship (deadline March 1, 2014; ISER research grant, deadline March 1, 2014; ISER conference grant, deadline March 1, 2014).
- Smallwood Foundation: Research grant and Conference grant, deadline October 1, 2014.
- Northern Science Training Program (NSTP): The deadline for submission to the NSTP Secretariat is December 1st each year. The Memorial internal deadline is generally early in November.
- The Department of Linguistics CCLAS project, which studies the acquisition of Cree as a first language, offers fellowships at the Masters and Doctoral levels. Fellowship recipients undertake thesis research within the context of the CCLAS project. For further details contact Julie Brittain. We are presently looking for applications for a Fall 2014 start: http://linguistlist.org/issues/24/24-4299.html.