Conferences and Summer Schools
Conferences: Here are some of the conferences we like to keep track of, and at which we may present our research. Each meeting has its own deadlines and requirements for abstract submission.
Last updated: March 6, 2014
Summer schools in Linguistics
- Language Description and Linguistic Fieldwork, Aarhus University, Denmark: June 23-July 4, Master's level (target group, advanced linguistics students); Teachers, Eeva Sippola, Peter Bakker (Aarhus University, Denmark); Cost, Danish and EU/EØS, 200 EUR NON-EU-EØS students, 1,517 EUR; More information: http://www.au.dk/en/summeruniversity/courses/language-description-and-linguistic-fieldWork, Or write to Peter Bakker: email@example.com Deadline: March 15. Books, course materials, social programme, and housing are not included in the tuition fee. Also be aware of course specific expenses mentioned in the description.
- Offered biennially, the LSA 2015 Linguistic Institute will next take place July 6-31, 2015 at the University of Chicago. http://lucian.uchicago.edu/blogs/lsa2015/
- The 24rd conference of the European Second Language Association (EUROSLA 24), University of Amsterdam, September 3-6, 2014. http://www.york.ac.uk/education/research/cllr/eurosla24/.
- 12th Generative Approaches to Second Language Acquisition (GASLA 12), University of Florida, April 26-28, 2013. www.gasla12.com.
- Generative Approaches to Language Acquisition (GALA) 2015, Indiana University - Bloomington. Spring 2015. GALA is held every 2nd year.
- The 5th Generative Approaches to Language Acquisition in North America (GALANA 5) was held at the University of Kansas, October 11-13, 2012. It is expected to take place Summer/Fall 2014. GALANA is held every 2nd year.
- The 38th Boston University Child Language Development Conference (BUCLD 39) wil be held November 7-9, 2014. www.bu.edu/bucld.
- International Association for the Study of Child Language (IASCL). Meetings are held every 3rd year. The next one will be held in Amsterdam July 14-19, 2014. www.iascl.org.
- The International Child Phonology Conference (ICPC) is an annual conference on issues related to all aspects of children's speech-sound development. ICPC 2014 will take place at the University of Montana, June 17-18, 2014. This year ICPC consists of a general conference on (June 17-18) and a pre-conference workshop regarding the clinical and applied aspects of phonology (June 16). http://www.coehs.umt.edu/departments/csd/ICP%20Conference/default.php
General and theoretical linguistics
- The Canadian Linguistic Association (CLA) annual conference is held in Canada in May/June. The Association will hold its 2014 conference as part of the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences at Brock University Saturday, May 24, to Monday, May 26, 2014. http://homes.chass.utoronto.ca/~cla-acl.
- The Linguistic Society of America is held in the USA in early January. The 2015 meeting will be in San Francisco, January 8-11
- Generative grammar in the Old World (GLOW) is held annually in Europe. The 37th GLOW conference will take place in Brussells, Belgium, on April 2-4, 2014. (workshops April 5). The conference website is at the following address: www.glow37.org
- The North East Linguistic Society (NELS) is held annually in North America. For 2013 see http://linguistlist.org/callconf/browse-conf-action.cfm?ConfID=157112.**
Conferences with an Aboriginal language/culture focus
- The annual Algonquian Conference in the third weekend of October, usually alternating between the US and Canada in alternate years. The 2012 meeting was held in Chicago and the University of Ottawa hosted the 2013 meeting. More information about 2014 will be provided as available.
- The Workshop on Structure and Constituency in the Languages of the Americas (WSCLA) is held annually. WSCLA 19 (2014) will be held from April 25-27 at Memorial University. http://www.mun.ca/wscla19/
- New Ways of Analyzing Variation (NWAV) is held annually. In 2014 NWAV will hosted by the Universtiy of Illinois, Oct 23-26 http://linguistlist.org/callconf/browse-conf-action.cfm?ConfID=173594
- The American Dialect Society http://www.americandialect.org meets at the same time as the LSA (2015, University of Chicago, January 8-11 (see above).
- Sociolinguistics symposium 20 (2014) will be held at the University of Jyväskylä, Finland. The theme of the conference is Language, Time and Space. https://www.jyu.fi/en/congress/ss20.