MUN Mentors aims to ease the transition process for new international students while also engaging current students in an intercultural volunteer initiative. It accomplishes this goal by matching current students with new international students throughout their first semester at Memorial.
Mentees are able to ask pre-arrival questions, feel supported in navigating St. John’s and Memorial culture, and gain tips for being successful inside and outside of the classroom.
Mentors are able to share their knowledge of living and studying here and develop strong leadership skills.
The MUN Mentors program matches Mentees and Mentors across cultures thereby allowing every participant to learn about a culture other than their own and work to develop effective intercultural communication skills.
Are you interested in getting the help of a Mentor? Be a Mentee and join MUN Mentors! Deadline to apply is Aug. 28!
To Apply: Click https://crm.stuaff.mun.ca/events/eventsign.htm
(please find the MUN Mentor Program—Mentee application)
As part of MUN Mentors, new international students are matched with senior students already attending Memorial University.
Why be a Mentee?
- To meet someone who can give you a student perspective on academic, social, and personal matters
- To get help adjusting to life both on campus and in the city
- Give you an opportunity to learn more about the traditions and customs of another culture
- To Participate in multi-cultural events with other International and Canadian students
- Introduce you to new friends
- Give you the opportunity to teach another student about your own culture
To Be Eligible:
- Must been rolled for your first term at MUN for the Fall 2017 semester
- Must not be in enrolled in English Second Language Program in Fall 2017
Deadline: August 28th, 2017
Thank you Fall 2017 mentors. We look forward to working with you soon!
Information for Mentors (W'18 mentor application will be available in October)
If you are looking for a unique volunteer opportunity in which you make you a lasting impact on others, you should consider becoming a Mentor to a new international student.
As a Mentor you will:
- connect with your Mentee prior to his or her arrival and answer any questions regarding life at Memorial or in St. John’s
- introduce your Mentee to campus and act as a “go-to-person” throughout the duration of the semester
- help your Mentee become involved in campus and community events
- discuss your Mentee’s concerns and challenges and, when necessary, refer him or her to the appropriate services on campus
- participate in social activities with your Mentee and other participants (including events organized by MUN Mentors)
- provide a friendly and familiar face around campus and in St. John’s and be part of a truly meaningful volunteer experience
- learn about a new culture, attend training and workshops, and complete reports and evaluations as necessary
To be eligible you must:
- have completed at least two terms at Memorial
- have a cumulative GPA of over 2.5
- attend an interview with the program coordinator
- attend training sessions in the semester prior to 1st participation
- commit a minimum of 10 hours/month (including meeting and administrative time)
If you would like more information about this exciting program please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org