Application for Admission to Exchange Programs 2013-14
Late applications received throughout the year may be considered depending on space availability and partner school deadlines.
All applicants should also attach the following documents to be considered for an exchange program.
- current résumé including work and volunteer experience
- an up-to-date transcript
- two letters of reference (personal or academic references are appropriate)
- letter of intent
Who can go on an exchange?
Normally students who participate in exchange programs are in their third or fourth year of studies.
NB: Students wishing to take courses abroad within their last 10 courses of their first degree from Memorial University must seek special permission from the undergraduate studies committee from their respective department. This request must be made in writing and include: the number of courses to be taken outside of MUN (in the last 10) and rationale for this choice. This letter will then be forwarded to the Registrar's Office.
How are students selected?
1) Academic Performance: Undergraduate students must have a 2.5 GPA average calculated over their last 16 courses
2) Demonstrated Interest: Students will be required to provide a detailed description of the reasons behind their choice of exchange location. This will include written summaries of the country, school, courses, and preparation for exchange. Students must be nominated by both their academic department and the International Centre in order to participate in an exchange program. Students should include any interest in international issues such as active membership in international organizations, participation in the MUN Mentors program, enrolment in courses with an international focus (foreign language, geography, political science, etc) and previous travel experience in their application. All applications must include an up-to-date official transcript, resume, letter of intent and two letters of reference.
Can students apply once the deadline has passed?
Late applications will automatically be wait-listed and will be considered only if exchange positions remain. These will be considered on a first-come first-serve basis.
Are there scholarships available for exchange students?
There are some scholarships available for undergraduate students participating in study abroad programs. Please visit the Scholarships and Awards Office website for more details.
How do I know if I have been accepted for an exchange?
- Students are notified of the results by e-mail within 2 weeks of the stated application deadline.