St. Lunaire-Griquet is scenic community located about twenty minutes north of St. Anthony on Newfoundland’s Great Northern Peninsula. It is a community of approximately 1000 residents, spread across a region that was once two distinct communities. During the 1950s, sudden development in the area precipitated the conjoining of St. Lunaire and Griquet into one incorporated town-site. Unlike the vast majority of GNP communities, St.-Lunaire-Griquet has always seen a continual rise in population rather than a decline, with exception to the cod moratorium years, which invariable saw many people leave their homes to pursue work elsewhere. It is often said that the local post office marks the spot where the two communities come together.
The French began visiting this region as early as the 16th century, in order to exploit the renowned cod fishery. Despite the early arrival of these seasonal fishermen, the vicinity was not officially mapped until 1784, when the infamous French sailor Liberge de Granchain pursued the undertaking. He is still remembered for his work in the area, by an island near St. Lunaire Bay that bears his name. Granchain Island still holds evidence of the French presence, by the archeological remains of French bread ovens that can be observed on the site.
Just a few kilometers farther north is the Viking National Historic Park located at Lanse aux Meadows. This site, known as an original Viking settlement, draws many visitors to the region during the summer months. Indeed, the tourism industry, aided by this historic park, has become a vital component of the local economy since the collapse of the cod fishery in the early 1990s.