Robert C.H. Sweeny
Department of History
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NL A1C 5S7
Apprenticeship in history
- B.A. (Honours) Sir George Williams, with John Laffey, Martin Singer & George Rudé
- assistant de recherche au Groupe de recherche sur la société montréalise au 19ième siècle, UQAM
- M.A. UQAM, with Alfred Dubuc
- researcher at the Montreal Business History Project, McGill
- Ph.D. McGill, with Louise Dechêne & Richard Rice
- SSHRC Post-doctoral fellowship at Edinburgh, with R.J. Morris.
- Canada/Québec, Industrialisation, Theory and Method, History of capitalism.
- Co-director of the historical GIS project Montréal, l'avenir du passé (MAP)
Why did we choose to industrialize? Montreal, 1819-1849. McGill-Queen's University Press, 2015
With Valerie Burton, "Realizing the democratic potential of online sources in the class room" Digital Scholarship in the Humanities, 30, October 2015.
- Economic History Society, April 2016
I am on sabbatical in the 2016 winter term, in my final year of teaching I will be offering:
- History 2200 Making Canada Fall 2016
- History 2000 Visualising the Past Winter 2017
- History 3840 Historical Methods Fall 2016
- History 4255 Why did we choose to industrialise? Winter 2017