1 - 3 London Road: Auckland International Limited. Originally known as ‘Welfords’ this house has an early 18th century facade on an older structure. Although it faces on to London Road, the building is structurally part of a range of buildings to the east which front onto High Street. The house had extensive grounds, including an orchard. From 1910 to 1923 it was Cattell's chemist's shop. It was then occupied by a series of banks: the Provincial, then the National Provincial and Union Bank of England. The bank closed in 1965 and the vacant building was then set on fire twice by arsonists before it was bought by Robert Mead Insurance Brokers in 1974 and occupied by his firm until August 2016.
2 London Road: D 'n G Barbers. This building, the Old Bank House, was built ca. 1875. It may originally have been a branch of Sparrow, Rufnell and Co. of Bishop's Stortford, which was absorbed into Barclay's Bank in 1896. Prior to becoming a barber shop it was occupied by Charles Varney's Betting Office, Harlow's first travel agency, prior to its relocation to the Town Centre. It was then taken over by Joe Jennings Bookmaker, before the relocation of this business to High Street, and then by an estate agent.
London Road: East Side
Fawbert and Barnard's School. This school appears to have evolved from one established by Montague Burgoyne of Mark Hall. In 1802 he built a school on Godsafe's Charity Land in High Street - a school that was initially supported by both churchmen and nonconformists. But doctrinal disputes inevitably arose, partly because of the founder's interest in the British Society, and it seems to have been closed in 1836. However, in that year a Harlow maltster, John Barnard, built a non-denominational school in London Road using £7,000 bequeathed to him for charitable purposes by George Fawbert of Waltham Cross, who had died in 1824. Barnard stipulated that there was to be 'no interference by the Church' in the affairs of the school. It was intended to accommodate 200 children from Harlow, Latton, Netteswell, Great and Little Parndon, Magdalen and Little Laver, Sheering, Matching and two parishes in Hertfordshire: Gilston and Eastwick. By 1855 the locals were referring to it as the British School which suggests it was a continuation of Burgoyne's foundation. An infant school was added in 1892 and a boys' classroom in 1897. A technical instruction block was added in 1912 and three classrooms in 1947. It was the only school in the area equipped to teach domestic science to girls and woodworking to boys.
Domino's Pizza is the current (2016) occupant of the old Harlow Post Office. Harlow's first Post Office, opened in 1823, was at 7-9 High Street and then moved to number 1 (Gothic House). At some point it moved to this building but by 2003, although it was still located in this building, it had been downsized to a small office at the rear of Alldays convenience store. By 2010 the building was vacant and the post office had been relocated to the rear of the Cooperative Store in High Street.