Churchgate Street: West Side

Churchgate Street: West Side

 2 - 6 Churchgate Street*. Originally three early 19th century cottages, now converted to one dwelling.

Churchgate School* In 1816 a group of churchmen, dissatisfied with the Churchgate School 20101859. The infant and mixed schools were amalgamated in 1923. After a further reorganization in 1954 the school was granted Aided status. It moved to new buildings in Hobbs Cross Road in 1971. The 'Ex Church of England Churchgate Street School' was sold in 1973 subject to the condition that it not be used for more than 2 houses.

Godsafe*: A mid 16th century range with a jettied cross-wing on the south Godsafeside. This was formerly the infant’s section of Churchgate Street School. The building was converted to 13 almshouses by Harlow’s Poor Charities in 1975 and renamed ‘Godsafe’. These new facilities took the place of Stafford’s, Reeve’s and Crabb’s almshouses, which were all converted to private residences.

Churchgate StreetSt. Mary and St. Hugh. This church has mediaeval origins but was completely ‘restored’ between 1878 and 1880. Few original features survive. Some Roman brick is exposed and there is still one Norman window in the north-west bay of the nave wall. The lychgate dates from ca. 1880.

Stafford’s Almshouses. The inscription over the door reads: “Given by Julian Stafford's Almshousesmade a bequest of £12 per annum, or which £5 was for the Church, £5 for distribution to the poor of Harlow and £1 for each of the two women in the almshouses. Life-sized marble statues of Alexander and his wife Julian can bed seen in the wall of the south transept of St. Mary and St. Hugh. The houses were sold to a private buyer in 1958 and rebuilt in 1974.

32 Churchgate Street: The Queen’s Head. This pub was built in the mid 16thThe Queen's Head century and a shop window was inserted under the second dormer from the north in the 19th century.

42-44 Churchgate Street. An 18th century range of houses.

The Churchgate Hotel*. Formerly The Chantry, built ca. 1600 on land that had formed the endowment of John of Staunton’s chantry in the parish church of St. Mary and St. Hugh. It was sold to Alexander Stafford in 1615. In 1855 it was bought by J.W. Perry-Watlington, the owner of Moor Hall. The timber-framed and plastered building, with a fine doorway and some other original features, has been, as they say, much altered.

Contact

Harlow Campus

230 Elizabeth Ave

St. John's, NL A1B 3X9 CANADA

Tel: (709) 864-2530

Fax: (709) 864-2552

becomestudent@mun.ca