Canada Working Holiday Scheme
There are unlimited places available annually under this scheme to young citizens of Canada for a stay of 12 months.
To be eligible
- have a Canadian passport that‘s valid for at least three months after your planned departure from New Zealand
- be at least 18 and not more than 35 years old
- not bring children with you
- hold a return ticket or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket*
- have a minimum of NZ$4,200 available funds to meet your living costs while you’re here
- meet our health and character requirements
- be coming to New Zealand to holiday, with work or study being secondary intentions for your visit
- not have been approved a visa under a Working Holiday Scheme before.
*You are required to hold sufficient funds for the duration of your visit and for the purchase of an outward ticket from New Zealand. Such evidence may be requested on arrival at the border.
If you are already in New Zealand you also need to hold a valid temporary visa.
You will need to meet our health requirements for temporary entry to New Zealand.
Important note for online applicants: Our Working Holiday Schemes Online system will tell you whether you need to send us a completed Medical and/or X-ray Certificate, and, if so, how to do it, when you submit your online application. This is based on the maximum length of stay that you are allowed under your country's working holiday scheme (not your intended stay), along with your responses to our health requirements questions.
You will need to meet our character requirements for temporary entry to New Zealand.
When you're here
- you must not take up permanent employment (unless you apply for and are granted an ordinary work visa while you’re here)
- you can enrol in one or more courses of training or study of up to six months’ duration in total during your visit.
Please note: New Zealand law prohibits any person on a temporary visa including a Working Holiday Scheme work visa, from providing commercial sexual services, or operating or investing in a business which provides such services.
Like all New Zealand workers, you will need an IRD number so that your employer can deduct tax from your earnings at the correct rate. In New Zealand, you pay tax on a pay as you earn (PAYE) basis. This means that there should not be a large refund or an amount to pay when you leave. For more information see Inland Revenue's Inland Revenue's Travelling to New Zealand webpage [external link].
How do I apply?
Applications under this working holiday scheme can be made online.
Take me to Working Holiday Schemes online. This link will take you to our Online Services login page. On this page you can register for online services or if you have already registered you can log in and access the working holiday scheme online application system. Check our questions and answers for more information on the online application system.
If you want to apply manually, follow the steps to apply for a Working Holiday Scheme work visa.
Online application service available
Applications can be made online for this scheme by following the link below. You will need a valid Visa or Mastercard credit card. This is the only way to pay for your online application.
However, before you think about applying, please read the following important information.