Work and Study Visas
*It is advised that you consult the websites below for the most thorough and up to date information regarding visas*
Chinese Embassy in Canada: The Embassy of the People's Republic of China in Canada (Ottawa)
515 St. Patrick Street, Ottawa, Ont. K1N 5H3
Tel: (613)-7899608 Fax: (613)-7891414
Office hours: 9:00AM –1:00PM (Monday to Friday, closed on holidays)
Consular Service District: Ottawa Region, Quebec, Newfoundland & Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island
Requirements for Visa Application
(1) An original copy of passport with enough blank visa pages, valid for at least another 6 months.
(2) A fully completed copy of Visa Application Form signed by the actual applicant; all applications prepared by people other than the applicants (except those below 18 years of age) should be properly signed by the applicants themselves; for every application prepared by a travel agency, both the agency's seal and proper signature of the actual applicant should be visible.
(3) One recent 2×2(in.)-sized color passport photo, white in background, with a full front view of the applicant's head and shoulders but without any head cover.
(4) From the date of issue, a single-entry visa shall be valid for 3 months and double-entry visa for 6 months; duration of each stay is granted on a case by case basis at the discretion of consular officers in accordance with relevant guidelines; applicants are advised to apply 1 month, or 1-2 weeks in advance depending on the specific cases, to avoid the inconvenience of visa expiration.
(5) In case that one's actual stay in China is longer than the granted duration of each stay, one is obliged to apply to local public security bureau (above county-level) or other competent authorities for extension of stay before his/her visa expires; any failure to comply will result in penalties including but not limited to fines.
(6) Former Chinese citizens applying for Chinese visas with a newly issued/renewed foreign passport for the first time should also provide the original Chinese passport, or photocopies of the foreign passport before renewal with all records of Chinese visas on it.
Employment/Work Visa (Z-Visa): for applicants going to China for employment or work and their family members.
Applicants are required to provide:
a. Original and copy of Authorized Notification Form for Visa Application or invitation letter.
b. Both original and copy of Alien Employment License issued by the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security, or Foreign Expert Work Permit issued by the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs of China.
c. Authorised Notification Form for Visa Application and documents proving family relations (e.g. marriage or birth certificate) for spouses and children of the applicants.
d. Original and copy of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners of those who will work in China for more than 6 months.
e. Z-Visa is valid for 3 months for a single entry with no specified duration of stay. One is obliged to apply for residence permit at the local public security bureau within a month after entering China.
Student Visa (X-Visa): for study and training in China for longer than a period of 6 months.
Applicants must provide:
a. Original and copy of Visa Application Form for International Student (JW-201 or JW202) issued by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
b. Original and copy of the letter of enrollment from the receiving school in China.
c. Original and copy of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners.
d. X-Visa is valid for 3 months for a single entry with no specified duration of stay. One is obliged to apply for residence permit at the local public security bureau within a month after entering China.
e. Applicants studying in China for less than half a year are generally issued F-Visa.
Visa Processing Time
Four working days are needed for regular visa application processing. A surcharge of $50 or $35 shall apply for Rush (same day) or Express (second or third working day) services respectively. All Rush applications should be submitted prior to 11 a.m.
Visa Fees (except U.S. passport holders)
Single Entry: C$50
Double Entry: C$75
Group Visa: C$40
6-month Multiple: C$100
12-Month Multiple: C$150