Committee struck to review research portfolio
The term of Memorial's current vice-president (research), Dr. Chris Loomis, concludes in September 2013. In advance of commencing a search for his successor, a review of the research portfolio is planned. Similar analyses have been conducted recently for the areas of responsibility for Memorial's other vice-presidents.
Memorial's president, Dr. Gary Kachanoski, has appointed a committee to conduct the review. The committee will report to the president and includes:
- Dr. Martin Taylor, president and CEO, Ocean Networks Canada (former vice-president (research) University of Victoria);
- Dr. Kerry Rowe, Department of Civil Engineering, Queen's University (former vice-principal (research) Queen's University);
- Dr. Penny Moody-Corbett, director, Ethics Office, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR);
- Dr. Antony Card, current dean, Human Kinetics and Recreation (effective July 1, 2012: associate vice-president (Grenfell Campus) research);
- Dr. Carrie Dyck, associate dean, research and graduate programs, Faculty of Arts
The Research Portfolio Review is expected to identify new opportunities and strategic directions that will serve to advance the university's research enterprise and to inform the search process for next vice-president (research).
The review committee is conducting consultations in May and units within the research portfolio are developing self-study documents in support of that.
Details of the consultation process will be communicated to the university community soon.