The Gazette is an ideal advertising vehicle; its readership is clearly defined so you can be sure your message will reach your target audience. Because it is a major source of information about Memorial, the Gazette is widely read by university employees, students, members of government and the media.
The Gazette's well-designed pages ensure your ad is not lost in the crowd. Each 12-page issue is tabloid-sized for easy reading, and features news items, profiles, regular columns on research, student views, calendar listings and a classified ad section.
Each spring and fall, the Gazette records the highlights of convocation. In addition, throughout the year the Gazette devotes issues to student success, developments in research, public engagement and teaching and learning and books published by Memorial authors.
- Take a look at the Gazette's ad formats. NOTE: Prices on the right are for Memorial advertisers, prices on the left are for advertisers external to the university. For colour, add $200 to all prices.
- Classified ads —The Gazette welcomes text-based, classified ads (though it will not accept personal, 1-900 number ads or ads involving a dubious money-making opportunity). The charge is 20 cents per word, or 30 words for $5. Ads must be submitted to Marketing and Communications (room A-1024) by the Gazette deadline, usually one week before publication. Ads must be paid for in advance using Visa, Mastercard, cash or cheque. When an error is made to the ad by the Gazette, the person can receive either a refund of the cost of one insertion, or a free extra insertion. When a mistake is made by the person buying the ad, no refund will be given.
There is no guarantee a submitted ad can be cancelled after the Gazette deadline has passed.
Circulation and distribution
8,000 copies of the Gazette are printed. Of those:
- 3,000 are delivered to all university departments, including the Marine Institute, reaching faculty and staff on the St. John's campus
- 1,000 are distributed to public locations around the City of St. John's
- 250 reach faculty, staff and students at Grenfell Campus in Corner Brook
- 2,400 are distributed via 15 stands on the St. John's campus
- 1,350 are mailed to businesses, government, media, educational institutions, community colleges that offer first-year university courses and individuals outside the university
- Page size: 11" X 17"
- Column depth: 15 ½"
- PMT's (screened halftones) require 85 per cent line screen
|External Rates||Internal rates|
|One page: $1,000||One page: $750|
|Half-page: $500||Half-page: $375|
|Quarter-page: $250||Quarter-page: $200|
|Eighth-page: $125||Eighth-page: $100|
|Back cover: $1,200|
|Any size ad + full colour: add $200||Any size ad + full colour: add $200|
The Gazette can also accommodate smaller ads. Camera-ready ads are preferred but not essential. Ad layout services are available at an additional charge, depending on the amount of work required.
University departments, divisions and organizations are charged a reduced rate.
For further information, or to reserve placement of your ad, please contact Mandy Cook by telephone at (709) 864-2142 or email email@example.com.
The Gazette is a publication of the Division of Marketing and Communications, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, N.L., A1C 5S7.