- P-5.1 Introduction
- P-5.2 Availability of Services
- P-5.3 Requisitioning Procedures
- P-5.4 Job Costing
- P-5.5 Copyright
P-5.1.1 - PURPOSE
To advise faculty and staff on University policy with regard to printing, duplicating and photocopying services and the proper procedure for requesting these services.
P-5.1.2 - SCOPE
This policy is applicable university-wide, and applies to the procurement of all printing, duplicating and photocopying, whether paid for from university or grant funds.
P-5.1.3 - AUTHORITY
The Director of Financial and Administrative Services is directly responsible to the Vice-President (Administration and Finance) for ensuring that this policy and these procedures are followed.
P-5.1.4 - RESPONSIBILITY
It is the responsibility of the Dean or Director to ensure that correct procedures are observed. This responsibility may be delegated to Department Heads.
P-5.1.5 - GENERAL POLICY
- It is the policy of the University to provide, at the lowest possible cost, an efficient facility for in-house printing, duplicating and photocopying services to the University community, as well as to affiliated associations and clubs with on-campus functions. This facility is operated through a central service and satellites.
- The central service and satellites come under the aegis of Printing Services. Printing Services is not a commercial printing operation and work is, therefore, not accepted from outside organizations. It is the responsibility of signing authorities, who issue requisitions to Printing Services, to ensure that only official University printing is requisitioned.
- Printing Services reserves the right to establish schedules and priorities, in consultation with the user, when necessary.
P-5.2.1 - AVAILABILITY OF SERVICES
- Printing - which involves typesetting and lithography, is available only in the Printing Services' main shop.
- Duplicating and Electronic Digital Printing - which is limited to black ink reproduction of standard size and quality materials, in limited quantities, is available in the Satellites. Jobs beyond the limitations of the Satellites are handled in the main shop of Printing Services.
- Photocopying - is available in all facilities of Printing Services. "Convenience" copiers for short-run photocopying (a maximum of 20 copies per original) are permitted in areas where the need is justified. The control for rental, lease or purchase is vested in the Department of Financial and Administrative Services. It should be noted that, in the interest of efficiency and economy, the number of convenience copiers in use throughout the University should be kept to a minimum, and optimum use should be made of the central facilities operated by Printing Services.
- Digital Color Laser Printing - is available in the Arts Facility for short run quantities where economically feasible and variable data applications. Jobs exceeding the limitations of this facility are handled in the main shop of Printing Services.
P-5.2.2. - AUTHORIZATIONS
- Signatures for printing, duplicating and photocopying are required on any requisition which involves an expenditure of funds. Signatures are authorized by department heads and monitoring will be at the department level. Printing Services retains the right to check for confirmation, when deemed necessary. Requisitions requiring the expenditure of funds in excess of $1,000 will require the department head's signature. No job will be started without proper authorization.
- Informational materials about the University for external distribution must be approved by the Division of Marketing and Communications before being accepted for reproduction by Printing Services.
- Brochures, posters and similar documents relating to Graduate Studies must be approved by the School of Graduate Studies before being accepted for printing.
- It is the responsibility of the originator to obtain such approval as required in (b) and (c) above.
P.5.3.1 - REQUISITIONING PROCEDURES
All printing requirements must be routed through Printing Services. When printing cannot be economically produced on campus, or cannot be produced because of equipment and/or space limitations, the Printing Services Manager will make necessary arrangements for production by local printers. A minimum of two estimates will normally be obtained on all jobs over $2,000. In-house administrative service costs for handling are not employed, except in very exceptional cases. Originating departments are not permitted to order directly from commercial printers.
P-5.3.2 - PRINTING OF STANDARD FORMS, LETTERHEADS, ENVELOPES, ETC.
Orders for a minimum six-month supply of all such items should be submitted in sufficient time to allow for reproduction when activity is at a reduced level, normally May and October. Such printing will not normally be produced during the months of July through September, December and January.
P-5.3.3 - PRINTING OF LAB MANUALS, TEXT GUIDES, ETC.
Orders for manuals, text guides and similar items which carry absolute deadlines must be submitted at least six weeks prior to commencement of classes. Such items will be produced on a strictly first-in, first-out schedule.
P-5.3.4 - PRINTING FOR UNIVERSITY RELATED ORGANIZATIONS
Printing, duplicating and photocopying services are available to all University related organizations on a direct cash-payment basis. Exceptions are made where accounts are established on a monthly full-payment basis.
P-5.3.5 - SERVICE TO STUDENTS
Printing Services will photocopy theses and course related materials for students at the same rates charged to departments, It should be noted that the photocopying of theses is the responsibility of the student and will not be accepted on a requisition to be funded from a department's operating account. Payment must be made before the completed work is released.
P-5.4.1 - JOB COSTING
- Printing, Typesetting, Lithography, Press and Bindery. Jobs are costed on basic materials cost plus 20% and actual labour hours. Labour cost is based on the mean salary of the Section, plus 30%. Rate schedules are provided to cover the printing of standard items such as letterheads and envelopes.
- Duplicating and Photocopying. Rates for duplicating and photocopying are predetermined, using a standard price schedule system.
- Overtime Costs. Additional charges for overtime are not implemented, provided the client's demand for service is within a realistic time-frame.
P-5.4.2 - ESTIMATES
Estimates will not normally be given on any job which is estimated to cost less than $200 for minimum amount for quotation, (this figure is subject to change with increased demand and/or increased cost of labour and materials. All quotations are honoured provided that the client's specification does not change and the order is placed within 30 days.
P-5.5.1 - COPYRIGHT
Printing Services takes no responsibility for the violation of copyright. Permission to copy is the personal responsibility of the person who has prepared the materials and authorized the reproduction. A statement to this effect appears on the requisition for printing, duplicating and photocopying, which must be signed by the person requesting the service.
P-5.5.2 - ACQUISITION OF EQUIPMENT
Purchase, lease or rental of printing, duplicating and photocopying equipment is not permitted without the approval of the Director of Financial and Administrative Services.
P-5.5.3 - PICK-UP AND DELIVERIES
Requisitions for "straight-forward" duplicating or printing may be sent to Printing Services or any one of the Satellites via campus mail. Urgent jobs, or those requiring specific instructions, should be sent electronically or hand delivered. Deliveries of completed work are made via campus mail, unless special instructions are otherwise given.
P-5.5.4 - MISCELLANEOUS
A new brochure is circulating throughout the University explaining the various services offered by Printing Services as well as the value and benefits of using Printing Services for all printing requirements. Extra copies are available upon request.