Activities and Events!
Tentative Schedule of Events for 2010 – 2011 Academic Year (Memorial English Student Society)
September 6/7 – Orientation 2010
- Visit the English society booth at the Get Involved! fair, hosted by the MUN Orientation team. Come to the Breezeway between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm on Tuesday, September 7, and find out about all the awesome events we have in store for the upcoming year!
September 15 - First MESS meeting (A 3018)
- At the first meeting, we'll discuss all our events, how you can get involved with us, and other housekeeping items.
September 17 – Book Sale (Atrium, Arts Building)
September 22 – Clubs and Societies Fair (11:00 - 3:00)
- Hosted by the MUN Students' Union. Drop by and check out our booth.
- We'll also be in attendance at the English Department Meet and Greet, open to all student interested in pursuing studies in English. Learn about diploma opportunities, what you can do with an B.A in English, how you can study at MUN's campus in Harlow, and more!
September 23 – Literary Adaptation club showing (A 3018) This event will be rescheduled for a date in the very near future!
- The English society will be showing films based on well-known books or pieces of literature. Come meet fellow English students and enjoy a relaxing afternoon with MESS!
September 30 - Book club meeting, 3:00 pm (A 3027A)
- The English society will be hosting a book club for students. We'll be choosing the five books to be read throughout the semester at this meeting
October 8 – Book and Bake Sale (Atrium, Arts Building)
October 8 - English Society Beginning of Term Social Gathering!
- We're welcoming you back to school with our first social event of the term! We're getting together at Bitters Pub (the Graduate Bar) for some drinks and conversation! Join us from 5 - 8 pm. Bring IDs, we'll bring snacks!
October 11 and 12 – Midterm Break
October 20 – Second MESS meeting (A 3018)
October 21 – Second literary adaptation club showing (3018)
October 26 – 30 – MUNdays (Keep an eye out for MESS!)
- The Memorial English Students' Society will be joining in the I &heart; MUNdays fun by taking part in many of the activities offered during this week. Check back with us closer to October for more information.
October 27 – Second book club meeting (A 3027A)
October 29 – Halloween
November 24 - Last meeting of the semester
Discussion points will include upcoming Winter semester '11, Annual Atlantic Undergraduate English Conference, For the Love of Literature conference, MESSquerade, etc
November 26 – Book and Bake Sale (Atrium, Arts Building)
December 3 – Last day of classes
December 3 – Second Literary Adaptation club showing
December 4 – Last mixer of the semester (UC 2001)
The winter semester is the busiest time of year for the English society. Join us for our meetings to find out how to get involved.
January 6 – First day of classes for Winter 2011 semester
January 12 – First MESS meeting (A 3018)
January 14 – First mixer (A 3017 or 3020)
January 20 – Fourth Literary Adaptation club showing (A 3018)
January 21 – Book sale (Atrium, Arts Building)
January 27 – Fourth book club meeting (A 3027A)
February 2 – Second MESS meeting (A 3018)
February 5 – 3rd Annual For the Love of Literature Conference
- The For the Love of Literature conference has been hosted by the English society for the last two years. Join us for a day of presentations by students, professors, and published authors as we discuss issues in current and past literature. The tentative topic for this year's conference is Gender and Queer literature.
February 17 – Fifth Literary Adaptation Club (A 3018)
February 21 – 23 - Midterm break
February 24 – Fifth book club meeting (A 3027A)
March 10 – Sixth Literary Adaptation Club (A 3018)
March 12 – MESSquerade (Location TBD)
- The MESSquerade is the biggest event for the English society! Come dressed in your finest duds or a themed costume for the most happenin' party of the year.
March 14 – 19 – Call for Nominations for Elections for 2011-2012 academic year
- Looking to get more involved in our society or student life? Run for a position on our executive.
March 21-25 – Voting in elections
March 24 – Sixth book club meeting (A 3027A)
April 1 – End of semester mixer (A 3017 or 3020)
- We'll be celebrating the end of another academic year by hosting our end of the semester mixer in early April. Say goodbye to all the great friends you made this year and welcome summer in style!
Dates and places of events are subject to change.
To keep up-to-date on all our activities, be sure to drop by the Memorial English Students' Society room (Arts 3027A) or keep checking back to our website for updates!