George Morley Story (1927-1994) joined Memorial University’s Department of English Language and Literature in 1954, where he established an international reputation as a lexicographer and Renaissance scholar, and pioneered the study of Newfoundland history, culture, language and literature.
His major Newfoundland publications include (with Herbert Halpert) Christmas Mumming in Newfoundland (1969) and (with William J. Kirwin and John D.A. Widdowson) the Dictionary of Newfoundland English (1982).
Dr. Story was very active in the public promotion and preservation of Newfoundland’s cultural and historical heritage. President of the Newfoundland Historic Trust from 1969 to 1971, he was president of the Newfoundland Historical Society from 1978 to 1981, and in 1980 was named the first chairman of the Newfoundland and Labrador Arts Council. He was appointed director of the J.R. Smallwood Centre for Newfoundland Studies in 1988, and in 1993 was named to the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
He was the recipient of several major honours: Fellow of the Royal Historical Society (1976), the Society of Antiquaries (1978), and the Royal Society of Canada (1982). In 1977 he was awarded the Canada Council’s Molson Prize, and in 1988 was appointed a Member of the Order of Canada.
For his distinguished scholarship and crucial influence on the development of Memorial University, Story was posthumously awarded a Litt.D. just a few days after his death on May 9, 1994.
[From RLS 16, 1999]