Educational Leadership Studies
Educational Leadership Studies is designed to prepare candidates for leadership in Education.
a) Admission Requirements
In addition to meeting the requirements in the general degree regulations,
i) students must have completed a range and number of courses in Education deemed appropriate by the Faculty and Dean of Education.
ii) a minimum of two years of teaching/leadership experience is recommended.
b) Program Requirements
i) all students in the Master of Education Program (Educational Leadership Studies) must complete:
E6100 Research Designs and Methods in Education
E6204 Educational Administration: Theory and Practice
E6205 Educational Policy: Theory and Practice
and one of the following:
- 6 credit hours (thesis route) within closed electives as listed in v) below
- 9 credit hours (internship, paper folio, project, comprehensive-course route) within closed electives as listed in v) below
ii) students on the thesis route must complete at least one of the research courses listed below (E6100 is prerequisite):
E6466 Qualitative Research Methods
E6467 Quantitative Research Methods
E6468 Critical Approaches to Educational Research
E6469 Theoretical and Methodological Foundations of Action Research
iii) students on the comprehensive-course route must complete E6290 Research and Development Seminar in Educational Leadership Studies. Normally students would be permitted to register for this course only after all other course requirements have been met, or during the student’s last semester of studies.
iv) to meet total credit hour requirements students may choose electives from any university graduate offering provided that those chosen are appropriate to the student’s program:
- students on the thesis route must complete a total of at least 18 credit hours
- students on the internship, paper folio, or project route must complete a total of at least 24 credit hours and the appropriate course option, E6291 Internship in Educational Leadership Studies (6 credit hours), E6292 Project in Educational Leadership Studies (6 credit hours), or E6293 Paper Folio in Educational Leadership Studies (6 credit hours)
- students on the comprehensive-course route must complete a total of at least 30 credit hours
v) Closed electives are those listed below:
E6202 Social Context of Educational Leadership
E6203 Leadership: Theory and Practice
E6321 Supervisory Processes in Education
E6330 Educational Finance
E6335 Legal Foundations of Educational Administration
E6410 Seminar on Philosophical Issues in Educational Policy and Leadership
E6420 Ethical Issues and Perspectives in Educational Practice and Policy
E6425 Comparative Perspectives in Public Education, Reform and Leadership
E6426 Computer Applications in Educational Administration
E6427 School Community Partnerships
E6440 Family-School Relations: Leadership and Policy Implications
E6465 School Violence: Leadership and Policy Implications
E6664 Seminar in School Improvement
E6710 Issues in Development and Implementation of Special Education Policy and Practices
Courses must be appropriate to the program and chosen in consultation with the advisor.