Please Enter a Search Term
- Students are strongly encouraged to explore the links below, particularly the first six under Grammar and Vocab, which are the ones most applicable to the course content of F1500, 1501 and 1502. The more of these exercises you do, the quicker you can master the grammar points covered in class. Reading practice can help you improve your vocabulary, and there are many interesting articles in the online newspapers and journals in the News section below. Regardez et amusez-vous bien!
- Le Trésor de la langue française - Unilingual French dictionary that will give you accurate meaning. For intermediate to advanced levels.
- Larousse - Very useful English-French, French-English dictionary.
- Le Grand Dictionnaire Terminologique is an outstanding online dictionary for scientific, technical, legal, and commercial terminology in French and English.
- Word Reference - Online multilingual dictionary word searches from English to French, to Spanish, to German, and a host of other languages.
- Online bilingual dictionaries - Choose from a variety of online dictionaries to help you find the word you're looking for.
- La nouvelle orthographe - Rules for French spelling (in effect since the reform in 1990).
- http://www.les-dictionnaires.com/ This site contains links to a number of
French dictionaries including ones for slang, synonyms, acronyms and verb
- http://www.pdictionary.com/ Contains picture dictionaries for learning basic French, Spanish, German, Italian and English vocab. It also contains exercises on the vocab such as word scrabbles and fill-in-the-blanks.
Grammar, Vocab and Idiomatic Expressions:
- La France bis - Reading and listening comprehension exercises - try them !
- BBC Ma France - Post-beginners'-level - great for F501 !
- C'est la vie - Increase your French vocabulary on this CBC Radio web page that offers audio clips explaining idiomatic expressions.
- 123 cours - Des exercices de français gratuits.
- French online - Practice pronunciation of verb forms and grammar points with these audio files
- Français facile - Test your level of French, practice using the many exercises listed here. Apprendre, pratiquer et améliorer son français.
- Dr. & Mrs. Vandertramp - The simple mnemonic to learn which French verbs use être when forming compound tenses.
- Grenfell Campus - More online French dictations.
- Didier Accord - Get extra practice with these self-correcting exercises.
- CCDMD - Great practice site from the Centre collégiale de développement de matérial didactique in Québec. Have a look around !
- BBC World Languages - Interactive videos, cool French, crosswords and lots more!
- French idioms - Learn idiomatic expressions containing keywords or browse through the list.
- Tennessee Bob's Famous French Sites Sites containing various Aspects of la francophonie can be found here.
- French exercises - Designed for learners of French as a second language
- Tex's French Grammar - A component of an online French course from the University of Texas with very useful tips and exercises.
- Transparent Lanugage French Proficiency Test - Score your knowledge of French with this self-test (intermediate level).
- French-English Dictionary - The dictionary translates from French to English and vice versa.
- Exercices de français - A site offering grammar lessons and activities.
- French as a Second Language - Contains links to various other interesting francophone sites.
- Language Guide - The french section of this site contains a
grammar guide, vocab building section and some reading. There are also
resources for Spanish, German, Japanese, and English.
- The French Corner - This site has a grammar guide, vocab lists and info about other topics related to French culture such as French fashion designers.
- French Language Overview - This site has a grammar guide as well as info on the history of the development of the French language and a list of false cognates between French and English.
- http://grammaire.reverso.net - This site contains a grammar guide, conjugation tables as well as info on proper spelling and word choice.
- Radio France Internationale - Le journal en français facile.
- L'Express - Actualités Politique, Monde, Economie et Culture
- Le Monde - An online French newspaper with information from around Europe and the world.
- TV5 Monde - News, culture, language modules - all in one wonderful site!
- France TV stations - Choose from a variety of French TV stations for listening comprehension practice.
- Canal D - The video section of Canal D's website.
- L'Actualité - The website of l'Actualité, a French Canadian news source.
- AM Plus - Le mensuel panafricain international
- Châtelaine - French Canadian women's magazine with easy reading at the beginners' to intermediate level.
- La Chaîne Française - website of the French Canadian CBC.
Francophone Culture, Music, and Heritage
- French in Action - A video series designed to help you improve your spoken French while introducing cultural elements. Great for intermediate to advanced levels.
- Français interactif - An interactive way to listen, watch and read about the French culture. The website contains numerous video interviews.
- Le Corbeau (The Raven) - Edgar Allan Poe's classic tale with parallel French translation.
- Il était une histoire - Legends, articles, songs, and lots more on this cute site designed for children.
- Site Molière - Access his complete works in French here, as well as concordances and a biography.
- French poetry site - Select from a literary period or a list of poets to read about French poets and their time.
- Chanteurs disparus - Classic French chansons by such famous artists as Edith Piaf, Serge Gainsbourg and others.
- Languages and Integration through Singing - If you like karaoke, here's a way to practice French songs and have a bit of fun learning some vocab..
- Best French Websites - A mixture of all sorts of things and a great change of pace!
- The Louvre - The official website of The Louvre Museum.
- Histoire du Monde - A history site completely in French, great for learning history and studying your French.
- Historia - The History Channel en français.
- L'Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie - Web site of the International Francophone Organisation.
- French Territories - Web sites of other french territories than mainland France.
- Histoire en ligne - historical biographies, and articles dealing mostly with the history of France and important French historical figures
- Contes d'auteurs - reading practice of fairy tales written in French
- Le château de Versailles: Classé depuis 30 ans au patrimoine mondial de l'Humanité, le château de Versailles constitue l'une des plus belles réalisations de l'art français au XVIIe siècle. Visite guidée, accompagnement scholaire et accès au Musée de l'Histoire de France.
- France Learning Together- This a site containing maps and
matching games to help students learn the departments of France as well as other aspects of French geography such as mountains and bodies of water.
Research tools, encyclopedias and search engines:
- ARTFL Project - The Project for American and French Research on the Treasury of the French Language (ARTFL) is a cooperative enterprise containing texts bibliographies and more. Site web très-bien conçu pour les cours de littérature de 3ieme et de 4ieme année.
- Encyclopédie de l'Agora - Une encylcopédie qui se distingue come point d'esprit critique devant l'oppression et qui défend l'engagement durable. « Le devoir de cohérence... et de jugement est d'autant plus impérieux que le savoir est plus éclaté.» Des articles intéressants sur des thèmes variés.
- New! Linguee - English-French Dictionary and Translation Search Engine.
- Idioms - Search for French or Spanish idiomatic expressions by keyword or browse through the list.
- L'Histoire par l'image - "A site which recounts the historical, political, and cultural narrative of France through the use of art and archival documents."
- Fan Fic - Ce site "est un site de fanfictions francophone.
Sont aussi abordés les conventions, salons, festivals sur l'animation japonaise, les jeux (de plateau, vidéo et autres), la Science-Fiction et bien d'autres sujets.