Please Enter a Search Term

International students

International students enjoying skiing.

International students enrolled in co-operative education programs are eligible to work in Canada in order to fulfill work term placement requirements of their program.

However, international students who wish to participate in a co-op or internship program must apply for a work permit (there is no fee for this application).

To be eligible for a work permit, the following conditions must be met:

  • you must have a valid study permit;
  • your intended employment must be an essential part of your course of study in Canada;
  • Your employment must be part of your academic program, certified by a letter from a responsible academic official of the institution; and
  • your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50 percent of the total program of study.

For immigration advice on-campus visit International Student Advising. For regulations concerning employment in Canada post-graduation, please visit Citizen and Immigration Canada.