References on course evaluation
Below are some reading references for further information on the topic of course evaluation and the transition to online CEQs. Many were used in the SCCE review process to determine the best practices to implement for the CEQ at Memorial.
- Ad Hoc SCEP/SCFA Subcommittee. “Recommendations on Modifying the Student Evaluation of Teaching Form at the University of Minnesota.” Revised Report 8 November 2007
- Avery, R. J., Bryant, W. K., Mathios, A., Kang, H. and Bell, D. (2006). Electronic Course Evaluations: Does an Online Delivery System Influence Student Evaluations? Journal of Economic Education, 37 (1), 21-37.
- Burton, W., A. Civitano, and P. Steiner-Grossman. 2012. Online versus paper evaluations: differences in both quantitative and qualitative data. Journal of Computing in Higher Education, 24(1): 58-69.
- Dillman, Don A, Smyth, Jolene D., & Christian, Leah M. (2009). Internet, Mail, and Mixed-Mode Surverys: The Tailored Design Method (3rd edition). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.: New Jersey.
- Delaney, J.G., Johnson, A.N., Johnson, T.D., & Treslan, D.L. (2010). Students Perceptions of Effective Teaching in Higher Education. St. John’s, NL: Distance Education and Learning Technologies.
- Dommeyer, Curt J. , Baum, P., Hanna, R.W., & Chapman, K.S. (2004). Gathering faculty teaching evaluations by inclass and online surveys: their effects on response rates and evaluations, Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 29:5, 611-623.
- Fike, D.S., Doyle, D.J., Connelly, R.J. (2010). Online vs. Paper Evaluations of Faculty: When Less is Just as Good. The Journal of Effective Teaching, Vol. 10, No. 2, 42-54.
- Gravestock, P. and Gregor-Greenleaf, E. (2008) Student Course Evaluations: Research, Models and Trends. Toronto: Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario.
- Johnson, T. D. (2003). Online Student Ratings: Will Students Respond? New Directions for Teaching and Learning, Vol. 2003, Issue 96, 49-59.
- New Directions for Teaching and Learning (2003). Special Issue: Online Student Ratings of Instruction, Vol. 2003, Issue 96.
- Nulty, Duncan D. (2008). The adequacy of response rates to online and paper surveys: what can be done?, Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 33:3, 301-314.
- Stowell, Jeffrey R., Addison, W.E., & Smith, J.L. (2012). Comparison of online and classroom-based student evaluations of instruction, Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 37:4, 465-473.
The following links are for institutions that have successfully implemented an online course evaluation questionniare.