Course Evaluation References and Links
This list of compiled references was consulted during the CEQ Review to help inform the process and identify best practices when implementing the online system at Memorial.
The Resources section consists of links to institutions that have implemented an online course evaluation system and have shared information on their experiences.
- Ad Hoc SCEP/SCFA Subcommittee. “Recommendations on Modifying the Student Evaluation of Teaching Form at the University of Minnesota.” Revised Report 8 November 2007
- Avery, R. J., Bryant, W. K., Mathios, A., Kang, H. and Bell, D. (2006). Electronic Course Evaluations: Does an Online Delivery System Influence Student Evaluations? Journal of Economic Education, 37 (1), 21-37.
- Burton, W., A. Civitano, and P. Steiner-Grossman. 2012. Online versus paper evaluations: differences in both quantitative and qualitative data. Journal of Computing in Higher Education, 24(1): 58-69.
- Dillman, Don A, Smyth, Jolene D., & Christian, Leah M. (2009). Internet, Mail, and Mixed-Mode Surverys: The Tailored Design Method (3rd edition). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.: New Jersey.
- Delaney, J.G., Johnson, A.N., Johnson, T.D., & Treslan, D.L. (2010). Students Perceptions of Effective Teaching in Higher Education. St. John’s, NL: Distance Education and Learning Technologies.
- Dommeyer, Curt J. , Baum, P., Hanna, R.W., & Chapman, K.S. (2004). Gathering faculty teaching evaluations by inclass and online surveys: their effects on response rates and evaluations, Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 29:5, 611-623.
- Fike, D.S., Doyle, D.J., Connelly, R.J. (2010). Online vs. Paper Evaluations of Faculty: When Less is Just as Good. The Journal of Effective Teaching, Vol. 10, No. 2, 42-54.
- Gravestock, P. and Gregor-Greenleaf, E. (2008) Student Course Evaluations: Research, Models and Trends. Toronto: Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario.
- Johnson, T. D. (2003). Online Student Ratings: Will Students Respond? New Directions for Teaching and Learning, Vol. 2003, Issue 96, 49-59.
- Nulty, Duncan D. (2008). The adequacy of response rates to online and paper surveys: what can be done?, Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 33:3, 301-314.
- Stowell, Jeffrey R., Addison, W.E., & Smith, J.L. (2012). Comparison of online and classroom-based student evaluations of instruction, Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 37:4, 465-473.
McGill University: Course Evaluations
University of British Columbia: Student Evaluations of Teaching
University of Toronto: Course Evaluation Framework
University of Louisville: Online Course Evaluations
University of Oregon: Response Rates and Accuracy of Online Course Evaluations