Service Name: VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) Phone Service
VOIP services are provided by the Network & Communications Group (NCG) of Information Technology Services (ITS). These responsibilities of the NCG are guided by Memorial University Policy and Procedures for telecommunications.
These responsibilities are:
- Monitor and maintain a telephony communication service which meets or exceeds Memorial's quality standards;
- Consult and provide recommendation to departments requiring telecommunication devices or services to ensure that university policies are adhered to. As per the university Telecommunications Policy, all telecommunication devices MUST be purchased through ITS;
- Provide assistance on the use of telecommunications services (e.g. transferring calls, conference calls, etc);
- Repair and/or replacement of telephony communication hardware;
- Maintain contacts with suppliers; and
- Issue, analyze, and award related contract documents.
- VOIP telephones and voice mail.
- Billing for long distance and other chargeable services.
How to request this service:
- To report a problem, the users are asked to contact the following:
- For new services or changes to existing services, the users are asked to contact their Administrative staff who should in turn contact the:
Out of Scope:
- Health Science Tenants
- Marine Institute
- Grenfell campus
- This is a 24/7 Service
- Maintenance outages occur:
Wednesdays: 2:00 a.m. - 2:30 a.m.
Sundays: 2:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m.
- Requests for technical troubleshooting and problem resolution are logged and monitored by the ITS Service Desk.
- Phone calls will be answered 85% of the time within 1 minute. A queuing system is in place to facilitate phone calls in an orderly manner.
- The email queue is monitored on a real time basis during regular business hours and replied to within 24 business hours.
- When a problem with service is reported, NCG will respond within 1 business day.
- New installations are resolved within 3 business days.
Processes and Tools:
- For new services or changes to existing services, the departmental administrator contacts the Service Desk via telephone call or e-mail.
- The service request requires: Account information, general description of request and signoff from Department Head or authorized agent.
- For troubleshooting, users can contact the Service Desk or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The service request requires: Employee name, phone number, room number, general description of problem.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- Network & Communications Group performs technical work and Consulting for new services and troubleshooting.
- Service Desk often acts as a liaison between Client and Network & Communications Group, and performs frontline troubleshooting.
- ITS Business Services Office coordinates billing.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Number of supported devices
- Client Satisfaction.
- Service availability
- Time to close a support incident
- Number of incidents per year
Revision: March 2014
Service Owner: Manager, Network & Communication Group