Service Name: Computing Support, The Commons
The Commons is a partnership between Computing and Communications, the Queen Elizabeth II Library, Distance Education and Learning Technologies, and the Writing Centre. The Commons provides access to print, computer, and technology resources with the support and expertise needed to help students, faculty, and staff use these resources.
The Computing Support area of The Commons provides support for a number of applications including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel). Clients can receive assistance with the formatting of word documents, preparation of presentations, printing reports, etc.
- Support for office products such as Microsoft Office and Open Office
- One-on-one tutoring
- B&W printing and support
- Labnet Account generation and renewal
- Desire 2 Learn support
- Assistive/adaptive Technology support
- Classroom application student support sessions
- Wireless set-up
- General inquires support
How to request this service:
Computing Support Desk
Main Floor – QEII Library
Who can avail of this service:
- All students, faculty and staff of Memorial University, although undergraduate students are the primary user of the service and receive priority.
Out of Scope:
- Staff will help clients with projects, however, it is expected that the majority of the work be completed by the client.
- The Computing Support Desk reserves the right to refuse help to people who are working on commercial projects.
- Computer Support Desk hours vary throughout the year. For current support hours, please reference http://www.library.mun.ca/qeii/commons.php
- Most issues are usually dealt with immediately (generally within 10 minutes), at first point of contact. Any issues that require secondary support are referred to the Computing and Communications Service Desk in Henrietta Harvey Building.
- Wireless setup average wait time is 10-15 minutes with a 5-10 minute setup time.
- One-on-one tutoring service availability varies from semester to semester. Booking can be done by visiting The Commons online booking utility at http://thecommons.mun.ca/booking
- There is no cost to avail the support services.
- Black & white printing cost 5 cents/page.
Processes and Tools:
- Clients can request assistance from The Commons Computing Support Desk.
- C&C Service Desk (Remedy) tracks and manages incidents
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- C&C Client Relationships staff provide computing support assistance
- Distance Education and Learning Technologies staff provide Desire2Learn support
- Student staff provide computing support assistance
Key Performance Indicators:
- Number of logins per day
- Number of clients helped per day
- Number of pages printed per day
Revision: January 2011
Service Owner: Chad Healey, IT Supervisor - The Commons