Service Name: Wireless Connectivity
Information Technology Services (ITS) offers a Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) Service on Memorial University’s St. John's campus. The service is available in select areas, with coverage expanding over time.
ITS also provides interoperability between the St. John's campus WLAN, and the Marine Institute and Grenfell Campus WLANs. This means the same WLAN account will work at all three campuses, and the method of connection is the same at all three campuses. This service provides exciting opportunities to the University community, allowing a level of flexibility otherwise unattainable.
- The primary intent of the WLAN is to provide mobility, ubiquitous access, and accommodation for private computers on MUNet to facilitate workgroups, teaching, etc.
- WLAN access is available in many areas across campus, with coverage growing over time.
- The campus network - with its wireless capabilities - enables creative thinkers and developers to plan new applications and services that take advantage of the mobility provided by wireless LANs.
- Laptops/PCs using the ‘G’ standard and WPA/WPA2 Enterprise.
- Mobile devices (such as phones and tablets) that support the ‘G’ standard and WPA/WPA2 Enterprise.
- University students, staff, faculty, alumni, retirees, and visiting guests of the University.
How to request this service:
By phone, fax, email and in person:
Service Desk, HH 2012
For wireless support in Residence:
Housing Wireless Support
Visit Hatcher House: Room 316A
Out of Scope:
- Certain sections of the campus do not yet have coverage. Approximately 85 per cent of the campus is currently covered.
- Only the ‘G’ wireless standard and WPA/WPA2 Enterprise authentication are supported; all else are out of scope.
- This is a 24/7 service except during scheduled service windows
- Service windows are Tuesdays: 5am - 7 am and Wednesdays: 12am - 2 am. Whenever outages are scheduled, a 3-day notice is provided to users where possible.
- Requests for service is logged and monitored by the ITS Service Desk.
- Phone calls are answered 85% of the time within 1 minute. A queuing system is in place to facilitate phone calls in an orderly manner.
- The email queue is monitored on a real time basis during regular business hours and replied to within 24 business hours.
- Account issues are dealt with on a case-by-case basis. After submitting a service request, users can expect to hear from ITS within 2 days.
- Service restoration resulting from an unexpected outage is done as quickly as possible.
Processes and Tools:
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- The Service Desk and The Commons provide front-line support for the main campus WLAN.
- The Student Housing provides frontline support for the Residence wireless network.
- The Personal Computing Group provides tier 2 support.
- The Network & Communications Group provides tier 3 support (account issues, etc.).
Key Performance Indicators:
- Number of users.
- Campus coverage.
- Number of service requests.
- Number of AP’s deployed.
- Type of AP’s deployed.
- Disconnects per access point.
Revision: March 2014
Service Owner: Manager, Network & Communications Group