Service Name: Software Licensing
Memorial University has a large number of users of desktop publishing and statistical analysis software programs. As a means to significantly reduce acquisition costs, the Computer Purchasing Centre (CPC) negotiates volume license agreements with vendors, and coordinates the installation and renewal of these software licenses. End users can purchase software licenses from the CPC and have them installed on their computers, either by IT support staff from their respective department, or staff from the Personal Computing Group (PCG). The licenses represent significant cost savings versus academic and retail packaged copies of the software.
- Some examples of software licenses currently available from the CPC include Microsoft, Adobe, Corel, SPSS, Minitab, Maple, SAS, Nvivo, ESRI, Mathematica and McAfee. Other software manufacturers offer volume licenses by request.
How to request this service:
By phone, fax, email, online or in-person
Who can avail of this service:
- Available to all university departments.
- Select licenses are available to students, faculty and staff on a personal basis including Microsoft Office and McAfee VirusScan for FREE.
- Hours of operation are Monday – Friday, 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Immediate service is available by phone, fax or in person during open hours.
- Requests made in person or by telephone are addressed immediate.
- Email and fax requests are responded to within one business day.
- In-stock products at CPC take 2 business days to process.
- Out-of-stock products at CPC that are in-stock at supplier take 7 business days.
- Out-of-stock products at CPC and supplier will take 14 business days. Extenuating circumstances may cause further delays (e.g. shipping or manufacturing delays)
Processes and Tools:
- Request is initiated by the end user when new licenses are being purchased.
- Site license renewals are initiated by CPC staff and notification is sent to the end user.
- A CPC requisition is generated as a result of the request which contains the software license(s) to be purchased or renewed.
- Once the requisition is processed with appropriate signatures and account code (FOAPAL), a service request is created by CPC staff which initiates the installation process for PCG staff or departmental IT staff. A time is arranged between PCG or IT staff and the end user for installation. Note that FOAPAL is the acronym representing the six independent elements of the University’s Chart of Accounts: Fund, Organization, Account, Program, Activity and Location.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- CPC staff facilitate end user purchases and renew appropriate software licenses based on user needs.
- CPC Store Manager ensures timely service is provided.
- PCG Manager ensures adequate response time for software installation.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Web page feedback
- Email feedback
- In person feedback from clients
Revision: March 2014
Service Owner: CPC Store Manager