Service Name: Service Desk (Help Desk)
The Service Desk acts as a single point of contact for all Memorial University faculty, staff, and students. The Service Desk is responsible for facilitating the restoration of normal operational service with minimal business impact on the customer.
- Providing solutions or temporary work-around using the Service Desk knowledge base and/or C&C web page documents.
- Following the documented processes to validate incidents and regular change requests, and recording these processes into an electronic tracking system.
- Using available diagnostic tools to determine the root cause of incidents.
- Reassigning to secondary support units as required.
- Keeping customers informed on request status and progress.
- Closing all incidents and ensuring clients are notified of closure.
- Recording all consultation requests and notifying the support team responsible for the consultation.
- Monitoring systems after hours - The Service Desk staff actively monitor the health of server environments and work with systems administration staff to resolve service issues occurring outside normal business hours.
How to request this service:
- Service requests can also be submitted via completion of an on-line form.
Who can avail of this service:
- Memorial University faculty, staff and students.
- The Service Desk is open 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday
- Summer hours are 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- After Hours Systems Monitoring: Fri. 6:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. Health checks are performed on academic staff holidays.
- The Service Desk operates with reduced staffing during Non-academic (Administration only) Statutory Holidays: Mid-March holiday, Victoria Day, Discovery Day, Mid-July holiday, Regatta Day
- The Service Desk is closed for holidays that are both Academic and Administrative Holidays.
- Phone calls will be answered 90% of the time within 1 minute. A queuing system is in place to facilitate phone calls in an orderly manner.
- The email queue is monitored on a real time basis during regular business hours and replied to within 1 business day.
- All efforts are made to resolve requests/issues immediately; however, secondary support resolution times will vary depending on the issue and service affected.
- Frequently requested services that are supported upon the first call to the Service Desk are listed below:
|Wireless Setup||<20 minutes|
|Email setup||<20 minutes|
Processes and Tools:
- Reset and unlock passwords for MUN faculty, staff and students.
- Record, monitor, and close incidents using a ticket tracking system (Remedy).
- Access MUN Faculty, staff, and students accounts (LDAP) for troubleshooting purposes.
- Campus Card lookup: Access to some campus card information for identification and verification.
- Access to wireless/MUN Dial-up account information.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- IT Consultants record, monitor and facilitate incident resolution through client interaction by telephone, email, or counter service.
- Senior Service Desk Analyst works with staff to ensure that key performance service targets are met.
- Service Desk Supervisor manages the daily operations of the Service Desk.
- ITIL Incident Process Manager (SD Supervisor) ensures the quality and integrity of the incident management process.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Telephone response times
- Incident resolution times
- Client survey results
Revision: January 2011
Service Owner: Service Desk - Michael Winsor, Service Desk Supervisor