Service Name: Service Desk
The Service Desk is a single point of contact for all Memorial University faculty, staff, and students seeking IT related services. It is responsible for facilitating the restoration of normal operational service with minimal business impact on the customer.
- Providing solutions or temporary work-around using the Service Desk knowledge base and/or C&C web page documents.
- Following the documented processes to validate incidents and regular change requests, and recording these processes into an electronic tracking system.
- Using available diagnostic tools to determine the root cause of incidents.
- Reassigning to secondary support units as required.
- Keeping customers informed on request status and progress.
- Closing all incidents and ensuring clients are notified of closure.
- Recording all consultation requests and notifying the support team responsible for the consultation.
- Monitoring systems after hours - The Service Desk staff actively monitor the health of server environments and work with systems administration staff to resolve service issues occurring outside normal business hours.
How to request this service:
By phone, fax, email or in person:
- Service requests can also be submitted by completing an online form.
Who can avail of this service:
- Memorial University faculty, staff, students, alumni and retirees.
- Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Summer hours: Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- After Hours Systems Monitoring: Monday to Friday 6:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. Health checks are performed on academic staff holidays.
- The Service Desk operates with reduced staffing during Non-academic (Administration only) Statutory Holidays: Mid-March holiday, Victoria Day, Discovery Day, Mid-July holiday, and Regatta Day.
- The Service Desk is closed for holidays that are both Academic and Administrative.
- Phone calls will be answered 85% of the time within 1 minute. A queuing system is used to facilitate phone calls in an orderly manner.
- The email queue is monitored on a real time basis during regular business hours and replied to within 24 hours.
- All efforts are made to resolve requests/issues immediately; however, secondary support resolution times will vary depending on the issue and service affected.
- Examples of frequently requested services that are supported upon the first call to the Service Desk are listed below:
|Service Type||Resolution Time|
|Password Reset||< 10 minutes|
|Password Unlocks||< 10 minutes|
|< 20 minutes|
|Wireless Setup||< 20 minutes|
|Email setup||< 20 minutes|
Processes and Tools:
- Reset and unlock passwords for MUN faculty, staff and students.
- Record, monitor, and close incidents using a ticket tracking system (Remedy).
- Access MUN Faculty, staff, and students accounts using Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) for troubleshooting purposes.
- Campus Card lookup: Access to some campus card information for identification and verification.
- Access to network (wireless/wired) account information.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- IT Consultants record, monitor and facilitate incident resolution through client interaction by telephone, email, or counter service.
- A Senior Service Desk Analyst works with staff to ensure that key performance service targets are met.
- Service Desk Supervisor manages the daily operations of the Service Desk.
- ITIL Incident Process Manager (Service Desk Supervisor) ensures the quality and integrity of the incident management process.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Telephone response times
- Incident resolution times
- Client survey results
Revision: August 2013
Service Owner: Michael Winsor, Supervisor, C&C Service Desk