Service Name: Red Hat Satellite Systems Management
The Department of Computing and Communications (C&C) provides a service that enables system administrators to manage their Red Hat systems using a simple user interface for software provisioning, patch management, updates, monitoring and maintenance.
- The satellite server locally mirrors patches, updates, and software distributions from the Red Hat distribution network.
- The C&C Technical Support Group supports the Red Hat Satellite server, and provides the system administration profiles and initial passwords.
How to request this service:
- A service request placed through the Service Desk is required to initiate support on this service offering.
Out of Scope:
- Non-University Equipment
- Consulting/support on personal off-campus equipment
- This service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days per year except during scheduled maintenance windows. Planned maintenance windows and unplanned outage notifications can be found at: http://www.mun.ca/cc/.
- User profile creation and support is typically resolved within five business days. Existing user profiles are managed by the user.
Processes and Tools:
- Web-based user interface
- Red Hat license management
- Service outages managed through the RFC ITIL process.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- The Service Desk provides front-line client liaison and incident management services
- The TSG assigns service role specialists
- Technical Support Group manager is responsible for contract renewal and license management
Key Performance Indicators:
- Number of supported servers
- Volume of patch/updates
Revision: March 2011
Service Owner: Ash Stirling, Technical Support Group Manager