Service Name: Red Hat Satellite Systems Management
The Department of Computing and Communications (C&C) provides a service that enables system administrators to manage their Red Hat systems using a simple user interface for software provisioning, patch management, updates, monitoring and maintenance.
- The satellite server locally mirrors patches, updates, and software distributions from the Red Hat distribution network.
- C&C’s Technical Support Group supports the Red Hat Satellite server, and provides the system administration profiles and initial passwords.
How to request this service:
By phone, email, fax, and in person:
- A service request placed through the Service Desk is required to initiate support on this service offering.
Out of Scope:
- Non-University Equipment.
- Consulting/support on personal off-campus equipment.
- This service is available 24/7 except during scheduled maintenance windows. Planned maintenance windows and unplanned outage notifications are found at: http://www.mun.ca/cc/.
- A request for user profile creation and support is resolved within five business days.
Processes and Tools:
- Web-based user interface
- Red Hat license management
- Service outages managed through the RFC ITIL process.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- The Service Desk provides front-line client liaison and incident management services
- The TSG assigns service role specialists
- Existing user profiles are managed by the user.
- The Manager, Technical Support Group, is responsible for contract renewal and license management
Key Performance Indicators:
- Number of supported servers.
- Volume of patch/updates.
Revision: March 2014
Service Owner: Manager, Technical Support Group