Service Name: University Portal Planning and Development
Using web development expertise within the Software Services Group (SSG) of Information Technology Services (ITS), a Portal program exists to offer a range of web-based portal consulting and development services. The Portal Program is a foundation of Memorial University’s unified digital campus and single point of entry to services and communications.
A Portal Steering Committee, a Technical Steering Committee within Edutech and ITS, and a Portal Manager with a team of SSG programmers provide the planning, standards, approval procedures, and development for the portal (my.mun.ca) channels and portlets.
- Portal channel analysis
- Channel planning
- Partnership for web graphic design and layout
- Web application integration
- Portal maintenance
How to request this service:
- Service requests can be made via completion of an on-line form
Who can avail of this service:
- Memorial University faculty, staff, and students
Out of Scope:
- Applications that cannot integrate into the Portal.
- Channels that do not meet Portal Channel Standards
- No direct costs
- Initial consultation with portal requester is within 5 business days of the request.
- The response is based on the initial portal channels assessment according to Portal Standards, estimated effort, and timelines.
Processes and Tools:
- The Service Requests are logged and tracked via Remedy Incident Management processes
- Portal Channel assessment and approval in accordance with Standards.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- Portal Manager and Analyst – responsible for determining user requirements
- PSC and Technical Steering Committee – responsible for establishing Portal Standards and Criteria.
- Project Manager – with Portal Manager and Committees, responsible for determining project scope and charter
- Programmer Analyst and Programmer – responsible for channel creation or integration into the university portal software, design, coding, testing and implementation of channels
Key Performance Indicators:
- Channels developed according to MUN Standards.
- Portal is single point of entry to university services and communications via channels.
Revision: March 2011
Service Owner: Software Services Group – David Pierce, Manager