Service Name: Personal Computer Support – Dedicated Assignment
Support services on personal computer systems and local servers are provided by the Personal Computing Group (PCG). For departments and faculties requesting services beyond what is offered in the standard service, there is the option to move to a dedicated staff assignment on a fee-for-service basis. Services can include hardware and software problem resolution, and application support and system administration, provided on supported versions of Windows, Linux and Apple Macintosh. PC staff is assigned half time or full time to a department and the service is charged back to the client on a quarterly basis. As part of the arrangement, a PC and an office or work area is provided to the ITS employee by the department or faculty.
- Software is installed following the policies and procedures of MemorialUniversity and C&C.
- IT Procurement can arrange for site licenses from a variety of suppliers including Microsoft, Adobe, Corel, and SPSS.
- PCG is responsible for the correct installation of the license and will advise users of the End User License Agreement.
- Installation of PC and server Operating Systems as applicable.
Hardware and Software Problem Resolution:
- PCG will make best effort to determine the cause of personal computer (PC) issues, such as slowness and unsatisfactory performance of software and hardware.
- Patches and other updates will be applied as appropriate.
- Software issues related to installation options are supported.
- Hardware issues for systems under warranty will be coordinated with the retailer or service provider by PCG.
- Hardware issues for systems not under warranty will be directly dealt with by Technical Services where applicable.
- PCG will offer guidance on the usage of installed software as deemed appropriate.
Scheduled maintenance and upgrades of the Client’s PCs and servers:
- Scheduled maintenance and upgrades of individual client workstations will generally be performed during the regular working hours.
- Work can be performed outside of normal business hours if required by the client. Agreement for scheduled downtime will be secured in advance.
How to request this service:
Service Desk, HH-2012
- Request for a service contract can be initiated by contacting the Service Desk.
Who can avail of this service:
- University departments and faculties which enter into a contract on a fee-for-service basis.
Out of Scope:
- Personal desktop systems owned by faculty, staff and students, except as noted above.
- Support is available 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, excluding university holidays.
- Summer hours are 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- Requests submitted to the Service Desk are assigned priority based on the impact (e.g., number of people affected) and severity (the nature) of the incidents.
- Frequently requested services are listed below:
||1 to 2 days
||2 to 3 days
||2 o 3 days
Processes and Tools:
- Log, monitor, and resolve incident using the Remedy Incident Management system.
- A service level agreement is negotiated with ITS.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- PC Consultants are front line staff responsible for following the defined processes, researching, and recommending solutions.
- PC supervisor ensures procedures are up-to-date and appropriate staff are scheduled to deal with incoming client requests.
- PCG Manager oversees PC Support Group activities and priorities.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Volume of incidents
- Incident resolution times
- Client survey results.
Revision: February 2014
Service Owner: Manager, Personal Computing Group