Service Name: The Digital Media Centre, The Commons
The Digital Media Centre (DMC) utilizes technology as an empowering tool for teaching and learning. The primary focus of the DMC is multimedia. DMC staff ensure that they keep current with new technologies and provide access to specialized software and devices for members of the university.
- Large format printing
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
- Scanning pictures, maps, documents and slides
- Image editing
- Video editing and transfer
- Audio transfer and recording
- Coloured printing
- PDF file creation
- DVD/CD production
- Lending program (digital cameras, audio recorders and GPS unit)
- One-on-one tutoring
How to request this service:
Digital Media Centre
Main Floor – QEII Library
Tel: 709-864-2356 or 709-864-6159
- Contact the Circulation Department of the QEII Library to access items in the “lending program”.
Who can avail of this service:
- Memorial University faculty, staff and students. Priority is given to clients working on academic projects.
Out of Scope:
- Staff of the DMC will help clients with projects, however, it is expected that the majority of the work be completed by the client.
- The DMC reserves the right to refuse help to people who are working on commercial projects.
- The DMC is open 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday
- Summer hours are 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday
- Computer availability varies depending on semester and time of day. Peak times are usually from 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Consulting services are free of charge.
- Printing costs are listed on the DMC website.
- Initial contact with the client happens within 15 minutes.
- One-on-one tutoring service availability varies from semester to semester but all requests are resolved in 24 hours. To request service, visit The Commons online booking at http://thecommons.mun.ca/booking
Processes and Tools:
- Users can visit the DMC at the QEII Library to request assistance.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- A Senior IT Consultant is responsible for the daily operations of the DMC.
- Student staff assist clients.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Number of logins per day
- Session length
- Number of pages printed
- Type and volume of activities being performed in the DMC
- Type of clients being served (faculty, staff & students)
Revision: August 2013
Service Owner: Aaron Goulding, IT Supervisor - The Commons