Service Name: Blackberry Enterprise Server
Information Technology Services (ITS) manages a Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) which securely integrates the data function of various Blackberry devices with the mail, calendaring and file sharing abilities of the ITS Exchange service.
The Technical Support Group (TSG) of ITS supports the BES server and provides the user licenses on a cost-recovery basis via a Service Level Agreement (SLA).
How to request this service:
By phone, email, fax, and in person:
- Service requests must be placed through the Service Desk to initiate support on this service offering. Requests are logged in the Remedy incident management system.
- Service requests are forwarded by the Service Desk to a clerk in the Network & Communication Group (NCG).
Out of Scope:
- This service applies to Memorial University Blackberry devices only; personal Blackberry devices are not included.
- The data charges (cell phone charges) are the responsibility of the user.
- The service is available 24/7 except during scheduled maintenance windows. Planned maintenance windows and unplanned outage notifications are found at: http://www.mun.ca/cc.
- Service outages are managed through the RFC ITIL process
- Setup of a new Blackberry takes 2 business days.
Processes and Tools:
- The BES utilities for customer control - the lost device remote wipe function for example.
- Remedy services for incident management and tracking.
- Business practices governing data communication and phone/cell usage.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- The Service Desk provides front-line client liaison.
- The clerk of Network & Communication Group provides the equipment and telephone service provisioning. The clerk initiates the Blackberry provision, cell activation, and cost recovery process.
- The Technical Support Group assigns service role specialists. TSG activates an Exchange account, sets up the BES access, and provides the BES license.
- The manager, TSG, is responsible for contract renewal and license purchase.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Number of devices.
- Number of BES licenses.
Revision: October 2013
Service Owner: Manager, Technical Support Group