Service Name: Blackberry Enterprise Server
The Department of Computing and Communications (C&C) manages a Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) which securely integrates the data function of various Blackberry devices with the mail, calendaring and file sharing abilities of the C&C Exchange service.
C&C’s Technical Support Group (TSG) supports the BES server and provides the user licenses on a cost-recovery basis via a Service Level Agreement (SLA).
How to request this service:
By phone, email, fax, and in person:
- Service requests must be placed through the Service Desk to initiate support on this service offering. Requests are logged in the Remedy incident management system.
- Service requests are forwarded by the Service Desk to a clerk in the Network & Communication Group (NCG).
Out of Scope:
- This service applies to Memorial University Blackberry devices only; personal Blackberry devices are not included.
- The data charges (cell phone charges) are the responsibility of the user.
- The service is available 24/7 except during scheduled maintenance windows. Planned maintenance windows and unplanned outage notifications are found at: http://www.mun.ca/cc.
- Service outages are managed through the RFC ITIL process
- Setup of a new Blackberry takes 2 business days.
Processes and Tools:
- The BES utilities for customer control - the lost device remote wipe function for example.
- Remedy services for incident management and tracking.
- Business practices governing data communication and phone/cell usage.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- The Service Desk provides front-line client liaison.
- The clerk of Network & Communication Group provides the equipment and telephone service provisioning. The clerk initiates the Blackberry provision, cell activation, and cost recovery process.
- The Technical Support Group assigns service role specialists. TSG activates an Exchange account, sets up the BES access, and provides the BES license.
- The manager, TSG, is responsible for contract renewal and license purchase.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Number of devices.
- Number of BES licenses.
Revision: October 2013
Service Owner: Manager, Technical Support Group