Service Name: Assistive Technology, The Commons /Blundon Centre
The Assistive Technology (AT) facility provides a variety of services for individuals with visual, physical and learning disabilities. The facility, located in the Commons at the QEII Library, is offered in collaboration with the Glenn Roy Blundon Centre, Office of Student Affairs and Services.
The AT Coordinator and AT Student Assistants are available to answer general enquiries, assist students with disabilities, and help others use the available resources.
- General inquires, scanning, and printing support.
- Individual and group AT tutorials, as well as technical support for the AT software applications.
- A wheelchair-accessible, height adjustable computer work station is available in the classroom L-2028 (a public area), L2001 - the AT Room (a quiet, private area) and the Digital Media Centre. All are located on the main floor of the QEII Library.
- Adaptive software applications such as Kurzweil 3000 (scanning-reading software), Dragon Naturally Speaking (speech-to-text software), Spark-Space (idea mapping-writing software), ZoomText (large-print software), and JAWS (screen-reading software) are available.
- Ergonomic chairs, raised study table, a Braille keyboard, half keyboard, QWERTY keyboard (alphabetic keyboard with larger letters), document scanner, Closed Circuit Television (CCTV), and other equipment are available in L-2001.
- Other equipment includes a half keyboard, and Smart View Versa which are available from the QEII Reserve Desk. A payphone TTY is available in the QEII Library entrance. See Services for Persons with Disabilities for further information.
How to request this service:
- Rooms can be booked for access to the Adaptive/Assistive Technology for a maximum of 3 hours and equipment can be requested at the QEII Library Circulation Desk or online at http://www.library.mun.ca/forms/atbookingform.php. All other adaptive technology workstations are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- To book an Adaptive Technology tutoring session, visit http://thecommons.mun.ca/booking. Bookings can also be made at The Commons Computing Support Desk located on the main floor of the QEII Library.
- To register as a student with the Blundon Centre, contact the Blundon Centre by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phoning 864-2156.
Who can avail of this service:
- Memorial University faculty, staff, students and the general public. Preference is given to those registered with the Blundon Centre.
- Assistive Technology support is available from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- Summer hours are 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- The availability of the AT room varies depending on the time of year. It can be booked online (http://www.library.mun.ca/forms/atbookingform.php) or at the QEII Library Circulation Desk.
- One-on-one tutoring service availability varies from semester to semester. Bookings can be made online (http://thecommons.mun.ca/booking/) or at The Commons Computing Support Desk.
- Additional support times can be booked by emailing email@example.com.
- This service is free.
- While AT rooms are usually available for same day booking, it is advisable to book at least 24 hours in advance.
- All requests are resolved within 24 hours
- All other AT workstations are available on a first-come, first-served basis, and are resolved within 8 hours.
- Adaptive technology equipment is on reserve at the QEII Library Circulation Desk and is available to students with a library account on a first-come, first-served basis; i.e within 8 hours.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- C&C Client Relationships, QEII Library and DELTS provide computing support assistance
- DELTS staff provide Desire2Learn support
- Student staff provide computing support assistance
Key Performance Indicators:
- Number of logins per day
- Evaluation forms
- Number of clients who use the AT Room and the AT workstation in the classroom or in the Digital Media Centre on the main floor of the Library
- Number of tutoring session per semester
Revision: August 2013
Service Owner: IT Supervisor - The Commons