Research Data Backup Service Description
Service Name: Research Data Backup
Service Owner: Philip Bonnah, System Administrator
• The purpose of this service is to provide a data backup and retrieval service to Memorial’s research community.
• On campus access to a fileshare.
• Online retrieval of backups.
How to request this service:
Research Data Backup
Who can avail of this service:
• All research faculty, postdoctoral, and graduate students of Memorial University.
Out of Scope:
• Undergraduate students.
• Data which is not part of a research project or graduate work.
• This is a 24/7 online service.
• C&C will make efforts to acknowledge support issues within 8 hours.
Processes and Tools:
• Initiated via request from the end user using methods outlined in “How to request this service”. A Labnet
account is generated which contains a home directory for online file storage.
• The end user while on campus can access his her fileshare via the RDB Client -currently for windows only. A version is in development for MACLinux.
• Online access to backups is available via the Labnet Webtools User Interface.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
• C&C employee will be responsible for a broad range of system administration responsibilities in
the day to day operations and maintenance of the research data backup service. Duties include supporting
the backup environment, monitoring resources, and automating procedures; troubleshooting system failures
and user errors; installing and administering software packages as appropriate; system reporting; providing
documentation and technical assistance on a university wide basis.
Key Performance Indicators: