Service Name: Research Data Backup
The Department of Computing and Communications (C&C) provide a data backup and retrieval service to the research community of Memorial University.
- On-campus access to a central file share.
- Online retrieval of data backups.
How to request this service:
Service requests can be submitted via completion of an on-line form
Who can avail of this service:
This service is available to Research Faculty, Postdoctoral and Graduate students of Memorial University.
Out of Scope:
- The service is not available to undergraduate students, or to data-sets which are not part of a research project or graduate work.
- This service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days per year except during scheduled maintenance windows. Planned maintenance windows and unplanned outage notifications can be found at: http://www.mun.ca/cc/.
- Technical support is available through the C&C Service Desk.
- Account requests will normally take up to five business days to complete.
Processes and Tools:
- The service is ordered via a request from the end user to the C&C Service Desk using the methods outlined above in “How to request this service”.
- An account is generated which contains a home directory for online file storage.
- The end user can access his/her central file share via the following methods:
- Windows - C&C recommends users download and install the Research Data Backup (RDB) Client software.
- A Research Data Backup (RDB) Client is in development for Macintosh and Linux. In the interim see the FAQs page for instructions re: mounting your RDB home directory.
- Online access to data backups is available via the RDB Labnet Webtools User Interface.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- The Service Desk provides front-line client liaison and incident management services
- The C&C Operations team will be responsible for a broad range of system administration duties including: supporting the backup environment; monitoring resources and automating procedures, troubleshooting system failures and end user errors; installing and administering software packages; system reporting; and providing documentation and technical assistance on a university wide basis.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Amount of data being supported
Revision: March 2011
Service Owner: Ash Stirling, Technical Support Group Manager