Service Name: Laptop Full Disk Encryption
Service Owner: Kenneth Forward, IT Security Officer
Laptops containing University data should be encrypted so that if a laptop is lost or stolen data remains safe. C&C provides a service to encrypt University-owned laptops using McAfee Endpoint Encryption (MEE) software.
• Laptop backup
• Hard disk check
• Full disk encryption
Initial Point of Contact:
• To set up an appointment or for general inquiries:
C & C Service Desk
• To purchase MEE software:
Computer Purchasing Centre CS-1000
Out of Scope:
• Macintosh computers will not be supported by McAfee Endpoint Encryption until Q1 2010
• Personal laptops
• MI and SWGC laptops
• Once configured, encryption functionality is available 24/7 with no scheduled maintenance windows.
• Encryption support is provided by the C&C Service Desk from 8:30am-5:00pm Monday to Friday.
• Once the Service Desk is contacted to request the service, an appointment can usually be set up within a couple of days.
• After laptop drop off, the encryption process takes approximately one day.
Processes and Tools:
To avail of the service you must:
• Contact CPC to purchase MEE software*
• Complete McAfee Employee Encryption Access form and return to C&C
• Contact C&C to set up an encryption appointment
*C&C is providing licenses free of charge to the first 200 laptops.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
• Service Desk -- point of contact for clients requesting encryption service; responsible for recording and tracking requests.
• CPC -- point of contact for clients for purchase of MEE software.
• PC Consultant -- responsible for receiving laptops during appointment time, laptop backup, disk check and encryption.
Key Performance Indicators:
• Total number of encryption requests per quarter or year.
• Number of completed encryption requests per quarter or year.
Updated: October 2009